PDA

View Full Version : Moving up to Boston, saying hello!

Kawaii
03/30/2007, 02:28 PM
Hey guys! I am moving up to Boston from South Florida in a month.

You can check out my moving dilemma here:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1085188

I am leaning towards getting a 12g nano and having my boyfriend set it up now so when I come down in a month everything will be cycled.

Is there an LFS in Boston--he lives near Northeastern University and works at Government Center? I saw that a high rated store was in Dorchester, which isn't too far but he doesn't have a car in the city and will only need live sand and saltwater to start up the tank so that is why I was wondering if there was somewhere actually IN Boston.

moe_k
03/30/2007, 04:38 PM
Is there an LFS in Boston--he lives near Northeastern University and works at Government Center? I saw that a high rated store was in Dorchester, which isn't too far but he doesn't have a car in the city and will only need live sand and saltwater to start up the tank so that is why I was wondering if there was somewhere actually IN Boston. [/B]
Hi!
Yeah, Skiptons Pet Center is within the city of Boston. Skiptons is right on the South Boston / Dorchester / Roxbury lines. Gotta be the store you saw in the ratings. It's accessable by bus and the subway (known as the T). It's in a bit of a sketchy neighborhood, so best to travel there during daylight.
Good store. I used to live in South Boston and mostly shopped at Skiptons. Go on in and say "hello" to Allie and Steve. Good people.
You can get more info over on the BRS' boards:
http//:www.bostonreefers.org/forums
Welcome to the neighborhood. :)

Kawaii
03/30/2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks, I have registered over there :)

I saw that there is a PetCo in Cambridge and I called up and they said they had saltwater there. I'd rather go to a known fish store but not if it is in a bad area. My boyfriend said Dorchester is not a great area, like you mentioned.

moe_k
03/30/2007, 06:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9609618#post9609618 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kawaii
Thanks, I have registered over there :)

I saw that there is a PetCo in Cambridge and I called up and they said they had saltwater there. I'd rather go to a known fish store but not if it is in a bad area. My boyfriend said Dorchester is not a great area, like you mentioned.
Skiptons, during the day, just as safe (or more so) as the PetCo in Cambridge. That Cambridge area has problems too. I've been there, the saltwater section is kinda sad. They do have limited supplies. You can get a bargain on a fish, but many are in poor health. :(

Dorchester is really big - the biggest part of the city of Boston, in fact. Some parts are fine. Some parts are really bad. As I said, Skiptons' area is okay during the day. :)

Kawaii
03/31/2007, 04:49 PM
Hmm, I see Quincy, Mass has a store and that isn't very far so maybe that is a good place to go. I registered on the other forum yesterday but it says it is still waiting approval. Maybe i'm doing something wrong lol.