PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of going salt water

jlmccown
03/30/2007, 03:45 PM
My wife and I are still fairly new to this great hobby, however my brother is very involved on these forums. (Jmccown)

I currently have a 55 gal., 44 gal. hex, 29 gal. and an old 10 gal setting around. I feel comfortable taking care of freshwater tanks and would like to try my hand at a salt water tank with the 10 i currently have or a 36 gal. i might buy. What would I need to make it suitable for a small species such as a clownfish or other species? I dont know anything about skimmers and all that, and I rarely get enough time to call my brother Jason to inquire about such things. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give a new guy wishing to expand in this great hobby. :)

BlueCorn
03/30/2007, 03:48 PM
[moved]

[welcome]

stupac21
03/30/2007, 04:50 PM
10 gallon may be tough to keep the water perameters where you want them. The larger the tank, the easier to keep the levels where you want them.

I'de go with the 36 gallon tank, the bigger the better!!

I have a 20 gallon - and I wish I went bigger

Before you start do a lot of reading! Then read some more, thats my advise and I'm sure anyone else's that is on here.

You came to the right place to get your questions answered, lots of helpful people on here, but make sure to do some reading on your own too!

Good Luck!

mistergerardob
03/30/2007, 05:34 PM
To start a 10 gallon is small, the 36 gallon is a better option if you want to keep a clown fish.
Like stupac21 said read, read and read.
Saltwater can be expensive, but you can save a lot of money by buying what you really need and taking you time.
Good luck.

Rock Anemone
03/30/2007, 06:13 PM
jlmccown,
[welcome]

You chose a great forum to start your learning experience! As the others have stated, the bigger the better. Not just because you'll be able to keep a larger selection, but also because it will be easier to maintain and keep up with.

Checkout this article for some general ideas on starting the tank: http://reefcentral.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=1

stuccodude
03/30/2007, 07:09 PM
spendy but soooo worth it, it will grab you and your at the right site