PDA

View Full Version : good idea/bad idea??

banga13
03/30/2007, 06:01 PM
I have a hair algae problem and am getting ready for a water change. I am planning on picking as much of the algae as I can and then scrubbing the rest off of the rock and power heads right before I do my water change.
Is this a good idea or a disaster waiting to happen??

Thanks,
Leslie

Rock Anemone
03/30/2007, 06:09 PM
Depending on how you do it, it should work fine. Just be sure to siphon out what gets loose from your hands.

Checkout this article, it's got some great suggestions: http://www.melevsreef.com/gha.html

Good luck!

Salamander
03/30/2007, 07:15 PM
Maybe look into getting a Phosban reactorto absorb PO4. They're pretty cheap and will help alot. Do you have a refugium with macro.

If you scrub now you may get rid of it for a short while, but you need to look into longer term solutions to the problem, not the symptoms.

drummereef
03/30/2007, 07:53 PM
Do you know your nitrate and phosphate levels? Also, do you use RO/DI water? How old is the tank?

ttomkat1
03/30/2007, 08:17 PM
I have brushed off my rock works several times before a water change with no ill effects. But you will want to start checking for the source of the problem.

---ttomkat1

szwab
03/30/2007, 08:21 PM
you run the risk of whatever gets loose to catch on other rocks and spread through the tank. If youare going to scrub I'd swish it in a bucket full of tank water that can be easily disposed of and changed out as needed

badpvtdan
03/30/2007, 08:29 PM
I always picked off the HA when I had it. I also invested in a 2 Lil Fishes reactor and it has worked out well.

banga13
03/31/2007, 05:34 AM
there is no risk of it spreading throughout the tank it's EVERYWHERE!!
I use an RO unit no DI yet. the tank is 2 yrs old. and I have no trace of nitrate or phosphate when I test.
I am not running a refugium but I have a skilter filter that is useless and am trying to figure out how to turn it into a small refugium. any suggestions on how to do that would be appreciated.

szwab
03/31/2007, 07:55 AM
What brand test kits are you using? some are better than ohers.the tests could be decieving as the algae could be using up the free phosphates and nitrates as they becomne available. Also hair algae captures detritus then "feeds" off of it.Ever notice a puff of detritus when you pull it off, it does not take much once it gets a foothold it rarely goes away with out both mechanical removal and improving water quality. I would invest in a good skimmer cut back feedings (they fuel algae).

salty55
03/31/2007, 09:51 AM
try using a turkey baster to blast the gunk and loose hair algae from your rocks. this will let it get sucked up in your filters and then it can be cleaned out. you may do it several times over the period of an hour or so. then do your water change. this will make for a much more beneficial water change. i done the same thing to my tank last night. the water is amazinly clear this morning.

banga13
03/31/2007, 07:12 PM
well I just got an algae blenny, I have cut down on feedings and shortened the time that my lights are on. The test kit I have are the saltwater master liquid test kit and aquarium pharmecuticles(spelled right?? tired!) for the phosphate test. I think part of the problem was also my bulbs were old. They have since been replaced. Hopefully my water will be ready tomorrow and I'll do a 50% water change and then maybe try doing 10% a week for a few weeks as well as constant weeding. it's a start anyway

Thanks for the input.