PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a controller for my Aquapod?

WillWorkForFish
03/30/2007, 07:30 PM
I'm thinking of possibly getting an aquacontroller jr. or maybe a reefkeeper 2, is anyone using either of these on their nano?
Or I'm thinking of just getting a pH monitor..

Would it be worth the money for me to get a controller? I don't really need all of the different options, so I was just wondering would I be better off going with this, just in case I'll end up wanting it in the future when I start a bigger tank, or should I just go with a pH monitor, and save the extra money for now..

any other suggestions?

oldreefer76
03/30/2007, 08:00 PM
I wish I could afford the controller for my 15G aga sps tank it would be handy now and in the future when I go bigger, but I have spent my $$ on a tunze skimmer good hamilton lighting and flow

steph30
03/30/2007, 09:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9610282#post9610282 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PEZBEAN
I'm thinking of possibly getting an aquacontroller jr. or maybe a reefkeeper 2, is anyone using either of these on their nano?
Or I'm thinking of just getting a pH monitor..

Would it be worth the money for me to get a controller? I don't really need all of the different options, so I was just wondering would I be better off going with this, just in case I'll end up wanting it in the future when I start a bigger tank, or should I just go with a pH monitor, and save the extra money for now..

any other suggestions?

I think this is one of those questions that only you can answer. Everyone who has a controller is going to say "Get a controller". Others will say "You don't need one..my tank has been running x number of years without one". My point is that a tank can be run without any fancy equipment (controllers, skimmers, ato, etc). That being said I have a 9 gallon tank that in the 4 months since I set it up I've added hqi lighting, a skimmer, and a refugium..lol Actually, I'm now in the planning stages of an ato too :) All of this is happening not because my tank requires it, but because I'm a gadget junkie. Just the fact you're asking this question leads me to believe you're a gadget junkie too (welcome to the club). My honest opinion is to not go with the ph monitor because you'll probably end up upgrading to a controller eventually anyway. Just decide what specific equipment you want and buy it as you can afford it. I think in the end you'll be a lot happier and have exactly what you want regardless of whether or not your tank "requires it".

Just my opinion,
Stephanie

uhuru
03/30/2007, 09:52 PM
I have an ACJr on a 5 gal CADlights nano. Overkill maybe? Actually it's very handy and I agree with the above poster - as a gadget junkie I couldn't resist. I'm hooking up a float switch to it right now, and I can set it up to shut off after 1 minute or so in case the switch fails. I can also dose kalkwasser in the top off water but disable it if the pH is too high. ATO problem solved!

WillWorkForFish
03/30/2007, 09:56 PM
how exactly do you have your top off hooked up to the AC-JR?

And is there any pros/cons between the AC-JR and the Reefkeeper?

I'd still like more opinions.. Keep em' coming..

WillWorkForFish
04/01/2007, 04:47 PM
up

WillWorkForFish
04/03/2007, 08:09 PM
??