PDA

View Full Version : Suicidal Clownfish

richnbowl
03/30/2007, 06:56 PM
I purchased a pair of true percs. They are doing great except for the fact that they like to jump. It only occurs at night and when I do not have the moon light on.

Wondering if there is any reason for this? I have watched them and it seems like they bump into stuff when the moonlight is not on. They eat fine and are fat and happy except when I find them on my carpet.

Slakker
03/31/2007, 01:38 AM
So....why don't you just keep the moonlight on?

richnbowl
03/31/2007, 12:44 PM
Well, I do leave the moonlight on but there are times I come home late and forget to plug it in. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem or why this might be happening.

gkelly
03/31/2007, 12:49 PM
Put the moonlight on a timer. No more forgetting...

Mine get a little crazy if the tank is completely dark as well.

Medaka
03/31/2007, 03:14 PM
Yeah, mine do similar.
Also don't scare the fish at night
by turning some nearby light on/off.

mhigg71
04/03/2007, 01:53 PM
I was wondering why my beloved tomato clown jumped out of my tank last weekend. I forgot to plug in my moon lights and found him behind my tank in the morning (jerkeyfied) sooooooooo sad:( . I am going to purchase a new clown this weekend. I have a LTA and it is sad also, it seems to be reaching for the clown but can't find it. I will leave me moon lights on from now on.

lesages
04/03/2007, 02:13 PM
Why turn the moonlight off at all? Don't have to buy a timer, don't need to worry about being there to turn it on...

I leave mine on 24/7. They use very little electricity, don't generate any noticable amount of heat and Current USA says the LEDs have "an incredibly long lifespan".

BristlewormKing
04/03/2007, 04:31 PM
I have several clowns and have noticed that the percs are the worse at jumping....I finally cut down their portions of brine shrimp and cyclopeeze they get each week and now they don't seem so jumpy at night (lost a gorgeous onyx, complete with black dorsal fin, that jumped and ended up with his head stuck to the side of the apparently wayyyy too powerful intake of a powerhead in the back).

Slakker
04/03/2007, 05:31 PM
Most LED's have a burn life of around 100,000 hours, so it will take quite a while to burn them out, but I wouldn't leave them on 24/7...a $5 or $10 timer will do just fine :)

I'm really sorry to hear that you lost an Onyx...they're beautiful clowns. :(