PDA

View Full Version : hoping for a quick reply on bubble baffles

str8clownr
03/30/2007, 10:03 PM
ok so im trying to make a sump/fuge out of an old 20h
my question is the first baffle the water flow encounters is not sealed to the bottom of the tank...as in there is a gap of about an inch or more

my question however is... will water flow underneath that baffle up and over the second baffle which is 12" tall and then through the refugium to the last baffle at 11"

i have seen lots of baffle traps that begin as -over baffle one-under baffle two-overbaffle three to the refugium and then again over under over to the return

again i know i am not making this sound so simple, but any pic i try to post is over the filesize allowed.

can i start with that second baffle (as in have the water go under my FIRST baffle, over my second (12" tall baffle flowing into my fuge which has a baffle at the end of 11" to flow over that back in to return.
cou

Hop
03/30/2007, 10:41 PM
Check Melev's Reef (http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html) for pics and suggestions.

But... The first baffle should be affixed to the bottom, it controls the height of the chamber. The next one is spaced off the bottom, the same distance as between the baffles. Three or more baffles is the way to go. But yes, water will flow under them as gravity is always working:)

str8clownr
03/30/2007, 10:44 PM
ive been to melevs reef but he just has his designs, having that first baffle spaced off the bottom does help with the micro bubbles right, or am i better off to just put my tallest baffle of 12" and then just the 11" at the end of the refugium

Hop
03/30/2007, 10:54 PM
Maybe if you shrunk the picture I could answer better. Or Send me a PM with the link and I can post it for you...