PDA

View Full Version : Decision time...upgrade gear or replace tank?

slowride
03/30/2007, 10:36 PM
Ok, I am wrestling with a few options, and I would like to ask the populace for some advice.

I have a 30gal tall acrylic tank with a Seaclone 100 skimmer (which skims, believe it or not), a HOB filler with carbon, foam and those ceramic things (had leakage with a Fluval canister, so I went simple), and a Coralife 65x2 PC with a 10k and Actinic.

I have some softies, which consist of two out of control Kenya Trees, a mushroom, some zoos, and a couple of very cool pieces of live rock that I bought which are covered in things I can't identify (they look like attached mushrooms, bright green). One clownfish, one Chromis, one Firefish, several hermits and snails.

My live rock is at least 40 lbs, if not more, and I have a 2-3" sand bed under it all, established for well over 2 years in this tank. It is all running strong and healthy, which is evidenced by the 3+ year company I have gotten out of the clown and firefish.

However, I am now getting a strong urge to go with either a lighting, and skimmer change on my 30g., or simply buy a new 65-75 tank and start it all over, since I would really enjoy the creature capacity of a larger tank.

If I go to a 75 for example, could I just get another 65x2 PC and add it along with my existing light? Is another lighting type better for softies than 2 x Actinic and 2 x 10k that I would end up with?

I realize that this is quite long winded and open-ended. but I would really like to hear some opinions on which way others would go.

kodyboy
03/30/2007, 10:41 PM
get a larger tank! Always a good idea:) I would get a 4 foot tank, an aquactinics light fixture (5x54 watt t5 one) transfer your livestock and purchase an aquatraders ps160 skimmer for your new sump (or it could be hang on, but I would go with a sump if I were you). You could use your old lights over your new 30 gallon sump:)

McCrary
03/30/2007, 11:27 PM
I would get the biggest tank that you could possibly afford and then slowly build up the equipment. A 90 gallon tank with 30 gallon sump would be awesome and you could buy a new skimmer, pumps, rock and corals over time. A bigger tank will allow for more stable water conditions and you can continue to compulsively buy corals for months to come.

slowride
03/31/2007, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the replies. I am going to cruise the local stores today and see what tanks are around.