PDA

View Full Version : lion fish feeding

gauche
03/31/2007, 09:37 AM
I have a 180gal fowlr and I have a 7" lionfish and an 8" niger trigger. The trigger eats anything frozen or alive. The lion only eats live goldfish. I have tried soaking frozen food in garlic and giving other types of meaty foods. He just looks at it and I even tried putting it at the end of a stick to move it around for him and he still just looks at it. He will also eat ghost shrimp but there has to be something else that I can try so that my water quality will stay good and not have fish scales all over. any suggestions welcomed thanks.

joeyt66
03/31/2007, 10:25 AM
Mine was the same way (how long have you had it) What i did was let him miss a few meals for a few days and keep trying a variety of foods shrimp silversides etc
He may go after the silersides. But keep trying he will begin eating.

johno4
03/31/2007, 11:00 AM
try not feeding him for a few days. Have you tried a dead goldfish? Maybe getting him used to dead food before switching will help. Just a thought. Or even puting a dead goldfish on the feeding stick to get him used to it. Then you could switch to something else on the feeding stick.

IPowderBlueTang
03/31/2007, 11:37 AM
try using a dead goldfish soak in garlic so it associates the garlic smell with food for awhile and later try soaking frozen food with garlic and see if it goes for the frozen!

FMarini
03/31/2007, 12:13 PM
try the method listed in this article.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/index.php (lionfish info sheet)
Its worked for me.
BTW feeding goldfish to this lion will shorten its life

justinl
03/31/2007, 12:31 PM
don't use goldfish. too many scales not enough nutrition, even for a FW feed. Use something with less scales like guppies. Try to wean it on to marine meat asap. FW food is like junkfood. doesn't have the right nutrients for a SW fish

gauche
03/31/2007, 03:11 PM
thanks for the great advice guys. I see that I am not the only person trying to give fish better nutrition. I have had him for about 5months now. I ordered him online.