PDA

View Full Version : So how does this tank setup look so far?

jnocerin
03/31/2007, 09:47 AM
This is how I was figuring I would setup all the equipment. Of course I would have my light on top as well? This was really the only way it all fit since the glass top I have limits my space for attachments. To the best of my knowledge it appears I can put the power head fully submersed at any depth, is near the top good or should I put it deeper?
Thanks all, I have started fulling the tank and will be adding the salt and sand this weekend. What should be running during the cycle? filters? Skimmer? power head?

Thanks
Jess

http://www.ziplink.net/~jnocerin/Tanksetup.jpg

Aliie
03/31/2007, 10:02 AM
So far so good, kinda look bare though. :)

AudioAdict
03/31/2007, 10:26 AM
Looks nice. I would ditch that sticker thermometer though. Spend a little money on a digital thermometer. They are much better. The powerheads look fine where they are. I would probably just make it so each one of them points to the front center of the tank. Keep us updated!!

AudioAdict
03/31/2007, 10:27 AM
Oh yeah.... Run all of your filtration during the cycle so you can get used to adjusting everything and making it work most efficiently.

Jason2301
03/31/2007, 10:45 AM
You will want to put a powerhead at the other end in the same location. Point them at the front center of the tank like AudioAdict said. AudioAdict, I think you mistook the powerhead that drives the skimmer for one that pushes water.;)

AudioAdict
03/31/2007, 11:24 AM
You're right. I should have noticed that.

Bmgrocks
03/31/2007, 11:28 AM
Will you be getting rid of the (Bio~Wheel Power Filters??)

though Great in Freshwater tanks, I have heard that they are bad news in reef tanks, They become "NitrAte Factories"

The BioWheel uses nitrifying bacteria to convert Ammonia and Nitrite into Nitrate

But in a Reef Tank, and any tank for that matter, elevated levels of Nitrate can cause an entire system to go down.

I DO suggest that you run the POWER FILTERS, during the initial cycle, they will help speed up ur Tank Cycle, and remove Ammonia and NitrIte much faster

HOWEVER, after ur initial cycle, i would ditch the BioWheels, which just add Nitrates, and Run Carbon/ phosphate remover in ur POWERFILTER ONLY.

just my 2cents

drummereef
03/31/2007, 12:55 PM
You can ditch the bio and mechanical media in the powerfilters if you have at least 1lb/gallon of live rock. Just run some carbon and use them for flow. ;)

grneyes3x
03/31/2007, 12:59 PM
I am new too this but as my understanding should He get rid of the glass top due to gas exchange?

Bmgrocks
03/31/2007, 01:11 PM
keep the glass top, u'll get enough circulation through simply the power filters running and trickling into the main tank, allowing adequate gas exchange

omni2226
03/31/2007, 01:25 PM
The power filters will NOT turn into so called nitrate factories if you keep them clean.

Nice set up. Only thing I would do is add another heater and set it just a tiny bit cooler than the one you have now.
That way you will have a back up in case the main heater fails.

There is no secret to keeping aquariums. Water changes every two weeks and NEVER add any chemicals unless you can test for them. Keep your filters clean.
Easy. Simple.

tcharger67
03/31/2007, 01:30 PM
no top, no penguins. just run powerheads. lots of live rock. the setup you have is how i started. this tank is headed for trouble.

wasupdavey
03/31/2007, 01:40 PM
Are you running a seaclone protein skimmer? A lot of ppl say those do poorly in the Aquariums especial spitting out a lot of microbubbles back into the tank.

I recommend running an AquaC Remora.

Other than that no flaws ;)

omni2226
03/31/2007, 01:55 PM
For refrence here is my 55 set up.

Skimmer on the left, Aquaclear 200 on the right.
Powerhead in each corner. Havent perma placed the powerheads till the nems decide where they want to root.

The BTA has settled in at the top in a hole were it cant be seen easy (of course) and the purple tip is still on the move.

I have always used at least one powerfilter,and have a magnum can filter I use once in a while. If you keep the filter media clean/replaced you wont have nitrate issues.

With flash.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i28/Omni2226/FTS.jpg

Without.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i28/Omni2226/FTS2.jpg

jnocerin
03/31/2007, 02:51 PM
OK, then here is my question on my 45 G I have an Aquaclear 500. If I moved that over once I finished cycling and pulled both of the bio-wheel filters would that be good? (Once the new 75G is up I will move the rock, 2 damsels and 3 crabs to the new tank)
Also I can then harvest the smaller heater I have in there as a secondary.
And yes the protein skimmers is a sea clone, but It was free (friend bought and never used) and I had no budget to get one, after getting an upgraded lighting system for the new tank (t5's).

Thanks for the help..keep it coming...the tank is in the process of filling with water now. :)

Frick-n-Frags
03/31/2007, 03:09 PM
I like the idea of the nitrifying bacteria on the LR nearest to where the action is so I would run those empty, or know you have a place to run some media if you need it..

the added water circulation is never a bad thing

I wonder if you couldn't grow chaeto in those 2 little power filters?
slap a little spiral flourescent over them :D chaeto likes good flow.

Frick-n-Frags
03/31/2007, 03:12 PM
are you moving the contents (LR+fish etc) of an established tank into a new one?

if so, you don't have to cycle the new tank. the LR in the old setup has been cycled for the animal load already. just move all the rock with the fish.

t5Nitro
03/31/2007, 05:20 PM
The filter should be no problem if you keep the media clean.

If it does become a problem though where you are noticing a lot of nitrates, it could be the filter, and if you decide to take it out, maybe save that 45 gallon as a QT tank and use the filter for a QT tank filter as they help a lot on QT tanks for the nitrogen cycle.

jnocerin
04/01/2007, 06:15 PM
Unfortunately i do not have the room to keep the other tank up as a quarantine.
I will be moving the rock over, but only after I have a cycle done. At this point is is most likely only going to be base rock, as the current tank went through a couple real rough times , and I ran copper for a good amount of time on two separate instances. Basically I am starting a new tank to replace the old one. I would love to just use the aquaclear I have and not use the Penguins at all,and call it a day. Would that be good? That is wit a second power head.

pugmommie
04/01/2007, 06:33 PM
What kind of protein skimmer do you have?

jnocerin
04/01/2007, 06:54 PM
Its a seaclone, as mentioned above, I got it from a friend, as I do not have the money to buy another.

Jason2301
04/02/2007, 09:15 AM
You will be fine. Just keep your bioload light and do your water changes.