PDA

View Full Version : Question about Seachem Mg and Carbonate Test Kit

wpbfishguy
03/31/2007, 09:51 AM
I am trying to test my total Alk with my Seachem Reefstatus Mg and Carbonate/Borate Test kit. I added 5ml of my water, one drop of the Total Alkalinity Indicator, and then started to titrate the Alk titrant. I never got the sample to change any color other than clear. It never change blue or yellow even when adding a full 1 ml or titrant. I tested my Alk with my Seachem basic test kit and it came to 3.5 meq/l. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong or do I have a faulty solution of some type. Thanks

Grunt007
03/31/2007, 01:01 PM
Seachem is having a problem w/ those kits. E-mail them and they will send you new indicators. You can try using 3-5 drops of indicator instead of just one. It will not alter the result, and should give a blue color to the sample(before titration). I needed new titrant as well as indicator, but they where very helpful.

wpbfishguy
03/31/2007, 05:14 PM
Thanks Grunt I will give them a call.

reefnetworth
03/31/2007, 07:04 PM
i have been trying to explain this same problem to (Jeremy) Premium Aquatics about my kit. he sent out a 2nd one, it was the same way. Mg test were fine, ALK were not giving readings fallowing a water change. i tryed contacting Seachem, and after about 3 weeks they said it was me, not their kits. they refused to replace anything. i have been using Seachem kits for over a year now, and im going back to Salifert. have a great weekend :)
JDM...:smokin:...:p

wpbfishguy
03/31/2007, 07:22 PM
Maybe I will call Dr F&S regarding the test kit first and then go to Seachem if I don't get a resolution. My Mg test portion of the kit works fine as you stated reefnetworth.

Grunt007
03/31/2007, 09:29 PM
Same here as far as the mag working and not the alk. Reefnetworth, for what it's worth I contacted premiumaquatics.com first, and they said to contact Seachem. I'd assume they are aware, by now, of the issue.
I have to say Seachem customer service was excellent for me. They never missed an e-mail, and always responded within a day. I had 2 new bottles of indicator the 2nd day after my fisrt e-mail.

kensilvey
03/31/2007, 10:28 PM
I called seachem and they sent me 3 bottles with the same lot # as my 1 1/2 year old reagant with same results will be calling back.

Grunt007
03/31/2007, 10:58 PM
They sent 3 bottles b/c you'll have to use 3 drops, or so, per test. Get the sample blue using the indicator, before titration, and you'll get the yellow end result. After you contact them, please post back what they do. I'm really interested to see how they handle this. And I thought I was the only one...

I don't know what happened, but they seem to have some major issues w/ these kits. Is this a newer kit to Seachem line of products?

kensilvey
03/31/2007, 11:10 PM
Yeah, they told me the same thing but i want them to know,I have been using sea chem kits for about 10 years I think this kit has been around that long at least.

reefnetworth
04/01/2007, 02:02 PM
i guess ill try Seachem again since P.A. is refusuing to refund or credit my acct. thay want to send back the same kit saying the Mg works fine. but that was not my initial complaint, it was the ALK. as we all agree, its a Seachem problem not the retailer, or the temperature. but it really did take almost 3 weeks to respond to my e-mail. maybe if i called they could fix the problem A.S.A.P. since the kit was ordered on January 12, 2007 and i still dont have the problem resolved. :(
JDM...:cool:...:p

reefnetworth
04/02/2007, 09:57 AM
hi to all involved inthis post. i contacted Seachem today. (extremely nice i must add)they have acknowledged the problem and its not just us in this post. they are sending out 2 TAI bottles today, and appologized for the problem. they have since fixed the problem and promise their kits will be good from now on. were all human and make mistakes, but its hard to find someone or a co. to admit when they have made one. just wanted to let everyone know. have a great day!!!
JDM...:cool:...:p

kensilvey
04/02/2007, 12:10 PM
Emailed today and replyed back in 2 hours now that is service.They are making a new batch soon and will send out when ready.

Grunt007
04/02/2007, 03:01 PM
Good to hear guys! Good customer service really goes along way doesn't it? I'll continue to use Seachem products, honestly, mostly b/c of your experineces, as well as mine w/ the representitives.

reefnetworth
04/02/2007, 04:52 PM
oh! i forgot to tell everyone, i mentioned that she should read the post in Reef Central under "The Reef Chemistry Forum", from "wpbfishguy". :)
JDM...:cool:.. dang its hot here...:p

wpbfishguy
04/02/2007, 05:53 PM
I called DFS and they are sending me another test kit so I will try that and then contact Seachem if need be. I am glad that Seachem is acknowledging the problem...good company!