PDA

View Full Version : Tank problem/Water Quality

Craiger
03/31/2007, 11:58 AM
I have had my reef tank set up for about 7 months. Other than a few rounds of ick, things have been fairly good. But, I tested my water last week, and a few measurements are out of wack. I did a water change yesterday, and measured again this morning, and I'm still getting a few of the measurements out of wack. Here are the problem areas:

--pH is low: 7.8

--Nitrate is high: 20

--Calcium is low: 360/375

--Alkalinity is low: 2.5

Any suggestions on how to resolve?

Thanks in advance!

szwab
03/31/2007, 12:36 PM
most salt mixes are deficient in one thing or another
when did you measure your ph if it was before the lights came on it will be low you can use a ph buffer to adjust it.

Nitrates either feed less do more frequent/larger water changes. what sort of filtration do you have running on the tank?

calcium and alkalinity can be corrected with additives. and then maintained with either a calcium reactor, kalk reactor or 2 part additive. There is a diy recipe in the chemistry forum created by Randy Holmes-Farley.

Scuba_Steve
03/31/2007, 12:56 PM
The recipe.....
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php
Good place to get the ingredients.....
http://www.twopartsolution.com/

drummereef
03/31/2007, 01:01 PM
For your pH, I would open some windows and let the fresh air in. Most depressed pH issues are because of high co2 levels. Aeration or better yet, fresh air, will help to bring it up. For your alk/ca levels, I would look into a 2-part additive. I use Randy's diy 2-part but there are commercial products available. Look closely at your system and try to find the source of the nitrates. Bio-balls, socks, filter pads, floss are the most obvious. Less feeding and more skimming can help along with diligent water changes. ;)

Scuba_Steve
03/31/2007, 01:02 PM
Double post.....

wasupdavey
03/31/2007, 01:46 PM
What is your dKH of the water? It should be about 8-12 dKH to maintain a good pH range. If your dKH is in the good range. Then like said above just get some good gas exchange into your aquarium everything should be fine :) good luck

Craiger
03/31/2007, 02:06 PM
Thanks everyone for your response -- greatly appreciated.

What's dkh?

Bebo77
03/31/2007, 02:12 PM
another way to say alk