PDA

View Full Version : Does anything eat turbo snail poop?

laserjim
03/31/2007, 12:53 PM
I have about 8 of them in my 46g ,They are great cleaners,but boy do they leave a mess.Looks like little mouse turds everywhere. I know its from them.Anyone else have this issue?

Frick-n-Frags
03/31/2007, 01:10 PM
Does anything eat turbo snail poop?

my siphon does, once a week, when I do a waterchange.

sir_dudeguy
03/31/2007, 01:16 PM
get some detrivores (i think thats the name...). This would include other snails such as ceriths (my favorite), and i believe astrea snails are as well. But ceriths work the best for me.

ionredline0260
03/31/2007, 01:20 PM
nassarious snails took care of all my turbo poo problems.

returnofsid
03/31/2007, 02:33 PM
Nassarius are great detrivores. They don't contribute much to algae control but do a great job of keeping the sand bed stirred up and clean. Make sure you get the tropical variety and not the temperate ones that are from colder climates.

laserjim
03/31/2007, 02:39 PM
I have about 5 little Nassarius.I think I'll pick up 10 or 20 more.They're pretty cool the way they all surface from the sand at feeding time.Maybe I just need some more.

Frick-n-Frags
03/31/2007, 03:19 PM
I should have mentioned that(siphoning) as a BB solution. astreas don't eat crap, they make it too because they eat algae like turbos do.

you can also use the high flow tank floor + monster skimmer to constantly mechanically remove it.

I can't help wondering if the coral nab some of that delicacy as it goes flying by when stirred up by turkey baster or pump blast.

otherwise, it just piles up in the quiet corners.

laserjim
03/31/2007, 03:29 PM
I have tried siphoning it off the top without getting to much sand.Kinda hard to do,I have pretty fine sand.Do you put a powerhead down low and try to blow it up so it can be filtered out?