PDA

View Full Version : 240 gallon vs 75 gallon

Scoobaman17
03/31/2007, 06:30 PM
What are the pros and cons of a 240 gallon reef vs a 75 gallon reef.

I'm thinking mainly only twin 250 watt reefstar halides and a few pcs to back it up on the 240 compared to all pcs on the 75.

Also would the 240 with that lighting require a chiller with an open top?

Scoobaman17
03/31/2007, 06:31 PM
O also they are both acrylic.

sean48183
03/31/2007, 06:59 PM
240=big dollars and more work(Scraping algae, keeping up with top off) but allows for much more livestock. Pretty much anything goes outside of rays and sharks.

spleen93
03/31/2007, 07:06 PM
On a typical 240 (8 feet long), not sure if you'll get adequate light coverage with only 2 250 watt halides even with supplemental PCs. Most people would recommend 1 250 halide per 2 feet of length so you would need 4 240 watt halides. You could try to space it out more but it'll decrease your light coverage and what you can keep. Why not use the 2 250 watt halides you were thinking about on the 75 gallon? That would allow you to keep practically any type of coral.

Spleen

King-Kong
03/31/2007, 07:07 PM
Top off? that's what $40 and an afternoon fix ;)

There can be no difference except for initial cost on the tanks, and the stand/canopy; reason? If you wanted, you could just stock the 240 like it was a 75. So lighting, fishing, live rock, etc. could still exist in a small footprint within the large tank, leaving the rest for open swimming space.

It would be like many of the scenes on patchy shallow reefs.

reefshadow
03/31/2007, 07:49 PM
I have both sizes, lol.

Pros to the 240? 6 inches wider (assuming it's 8x2x2) allows for much more natural looking easier aquascape. You can have larger fish. More corals. More everything really, if you want it. Space for growing out frags to defray costs. More water volume generally means more stability.

Cons? Much more/larger support equipment needed. This costs more, sometimes much more depending on brand choices. You'll just spend quite a bit more money on everything, really. You'll have to spend more on flow, lighting, heating, chemicals, salt. No way to get around that. You'll need to look into weight issues depending on home construction. It will be harder to clean depending on what the bracing is like. You'll need more room.

I agree about the lighting, it will look unbalanced with only 2 halides (unless you desire this), and reduce the types/amounts of corals you can keep. I don't need a chiller with either tank, but have AC in the summer.

I was lucky with my 240, I had alot of extra equipment from previous tanks to make it work without a huge extra cash outlay.

Scoobaman17
04/01/2007, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the inpute! But yes, I do look for the unbalance. My reason is this. This 240 gallon tank has a larger opening on the right side "twice" the size of the other three openings to the left of it. What I have seen and stunned me was this seen with a coral structure on the right side of the large tank with the most magnificent of hard corals. Then lots of open space and in the middle of the 2 foot tank near the left side would be a soft coral lr island. The twin 250 watt reef stars would stay on the right side of the tank with standard pc lighting until over the soft coral island. "adding a little extra pc"

Also I know this tank would wiegh in at nearly 2,500 pounds. It would be on a bottom "first" floor with checked ground support. Also I already have the tank with stand and canopy. "wouldn't and have never used the canapy"

I have had this tank up and running before. I agree about top off. I have "like reefshadow" a lot of spare equipment including two cpr backpack skimmers, uv sterilizer, auto top off, ETC...

The only thing I would have to buy at first is the live sand, enough for a stable reef, maybe one more structure of pc, and about 20 pounds of lr.
"Anyone wanna help me find the best place for this stuff?" This still goes with the 75 gallon if I choose that.

Also this 240 has been setup as a saltwater fo and it was on a second story.

In response to "spleen93". I had the 250watt halides on the 75 before but with the smaller amount of water and the need of a chiller cost me a pretty penny each month.

I just know these things: bigger isn't always better. Also that with more water more stability. And I have been dying to have this tank a reef since I first saw it.

Scoobaman17
04/02/2007, 10:27 AM
How much LS would be required to support the 240 gallon reef vs the 75 gallon reef?

Jorgens
04/02/2007, 10:58 AM
ya know...ive alway wanted a 180 g built in my wall when i was little....

I'm 31 with a nice house and we just finished the basement...guess what? a 180g built in the wall.

What I didn't expect ( always dreamed just freshwater)
salt costs....running 2 seperate 20amp breakers for heaters/lights/pumps/
flow and acess problems....
salt costs
cleaning really isnt bad but when hair alge breaks out....whew
salt costs....
sppillage on the new carpeting..
trying to fit that new sump in
salt costs.....
how many punds of LR per gallon?
salt costs....

just a bit of a difference..i used to have a 75g years ago.....just some of the differences.....

Scoobaman17
04/02/2007, 11:59 AM
I agree. I have had this tank up as a FO lion tank and I have had the 75 a fully dressed reef with halides and chiller. This is why I posted this thread was to get main feedback. I have two months before I can even start the settup so I have time to decide. Thanks everyone for posting your thoughts on this.

Also, this 240 along with the 75 are very easy to access. I have very nice flow, and I have had hair algea breakouts. There is really only one cure. Get a sea hare but make sure you return him to the store or put him in another tank with hair algea or he will die. But for me, with a big refugium and uv pump and regular water changes, I never see hair algea.

Anyone know how much water change you would do weekly on the 240? I do 5 gallon water changes weekly on my 25 aquapod and it's cleaner then any tank I have ever had. Thanks!

reefshadow
04/02/2007, 02:56 PM
I do about 40 gallons every couple/few weeks. I have to admit that lately I've slacked though and it's been about 6 weeks, lol. I haven't seen any difference.

Salt on sale is my best friend.