PDA

View Full Version : Id Please, are these yumas?

Colo_pr
03/31/2007, 07:56 PM
Can anyone ID these. Are these yumas? Bought the rock with 19 polyps for $40 at the LFS.

Any help will be appreciated.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/517/63669mushroom2.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/517/63669mushroom1.jpg

geoxman
03/31/2007, 08:06 PM
the pic sucks but they appear to be. Very nice find! They appear wild so be careful and good luck! Great color!

gemini aquarius(t)
03/31/2007, 08:12 PM
haha thats upfront^^^ anyways ya they do look like yumas good luck:) keep us updated!

Colo_pr
03/31/2007, 08:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9617513#post9617513 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by geoxman
the pic sucks but they appear to be. Very nice find! They appear wild so be careful and good luck! Great color!

That happens when you have a crappy camera. Thanks for the help.

Colo.

chrisstie
03/31/2007, 11:09 PM
Yep they are yumas and quite beautiful ones at that.. What an amazing steal I am so jealous!

b.branscombe
04/01/2007, 08:06 PM
Sorry to hijack, but I bought a rock of yumas that look exactly like those. I bought the rock full of them, but it seems they are slowly wasting away. I've tried them in a whole bunch of places in the tank, and nothing seems to help. I thought these were supposed to be bulletproof?

They're currently at the bottom of a 30"H tank lit by three 250W 10K MHs. Should I try moving them to my other tank, which is 24"H with 4 54W PC's? Less flow as well than in the current tank.

They're so pretty, I don't want to lose them.

chrisstie
04/01/2007, 08:40 PM
Some people have suggested when you have a colony having trouble like that to break them up and they may do better... Some of the wild caught yumas are more sensative than the aquacultured ones ( i guess it all depends on lighting, what generation, water quality etc) and sometimes you cant get them back

if you're willing to frag up the rock to separate bad from good you may still be able to save some

its sort of guess work right now. I'm not sure if any of the researchers out there have done any studies on this but as hobbyists.. its the quickest answer i can come up with you for now =\ Hope it might help!

b.branscombe
04/01/2007, 08:50 PM
What's the best way to frag? Cut the rock into smaller pieces, or remove the shrooms from the rock?

chrisstie
04/01/2007, 11:27 PM
I would cut up the rock if you can - I use a hammer and chisel (a flathead screwdriver with a strong handle works well in place of that)

I just put down a towel on a hard surface, put the rock on top.. if the rock is big a few strategically placed chisels as far down as i can go without hitting the table.. and the stuff will break apart relatively easily..

I had one rock it took me 3-4 different places to chisel but it split. Smaller ones are a breeze- the only stress to your corals is the air time they get which... if you are like me and happen to have a small tank.. when you drain it partially for a water change they get exposed anyway and seem to do just fine - 10 mins out of the water shouldn't hurt shrooms (things like sponges and gorgonians on the other hand are a different story(

hope this helps!

Colo_pr
04/06/2007, 06:14 PM
Well, all but two of the polyps have melted. I think that these are my first and last yumas. I have florida rics and all of them are great. :(

Colo.