PDA

View Full Version : Dive boat buddies

Zephrant
03/31/2007, 11:25 PM
I'll be doing my first vacation dive boat diving in October. What are the odds of getting paired up with a decent (average at least) diver? What percentage of people end up on a boat solo and getting paired up? It seams like most everyone brings their own buddy.

Some clicks go so far as to claim that you should "never dive with unqualified people".

I'll be confident in my own skills, but I don't want to be dealing with a poor buddy for every dive.

billsreef
04/01/2007, 09:33 AM
I forget, where are you going? I've found it quite variable. The futher afield you go, ,like Little Cayman, the more likely it is that everyone on the boat is a decent diver. Places with lot's of non diving tourism as well can be very variable and even downright scary. One time I got paired up with real speed demon of an air burner in the Keys, talk about a lousy dive buddy. Another time I was buddied with a new diver and I'm trying to take photo's, it was a real pain trying to keep track of her. I've also had some good dive buddies that I've met on the boat, but those have mostly been in remote locations that only dedicated divers tend to travel too. As I've gotten into UW Photography I've learned to keep my mouth shut when the DM asks who needs a buddy and just dive solo. However, the solo thing requires being very confident in your skills, especially handling emergencies and requires much practice.

Zephrant
04/07/2007, 11:04 PM
I’ll be doing the most diving at the East end of Grand Cayman. Since that’s the quiet end I suspect I won’t be around the day trippers from boats much.

Odds are everyone will have more experience than me. ;)

Thanks Bill-

Zeph

billsreef
04/08/2007, 05:55 AM
I can't believe I forgot that :lol: That's one of my favorite places. The East End is indeed the quiet end and has very good diving :D

snorvich
04/11/2007, 06:26 PM
billsreef has it right. Solo dive whenever possible. If you are taking pictures, you are, in effect solo diving anyway. Although the major agencies specify buddy diving, it is, in my opinion less safe than solo diving unless you KNOW the skills of your buddy. My dives have been 75% solo diving and I feel much safer that way.

Zephrant
04/12/2007, 11:27 PM
I've been considering that- I'll have to see how comfortable I am by the time I get there, and how deep the dives will be. I think I'll be mostly happy in 40' or less anyway, as that is where most of the fish/corals are.

One of the dive instructors has offered to dive with me a few times, so I'll give that a go too. Maybe have him take me on a deeper dive or two if I'm not feeling comfortable with the rest of the tourists.

billsreef
04/13/2007, 05:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9713818#post9713818 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Zephrant
One of the dive instructors has offered to dive with me a few times, so I'll give that a go too. Maybe have him take me on a deeper dive or two if I'm not feeling comfortable with the rest of the tourists.

That would be good idea :thumbsup:

bangaii man
04/13/2007, 02:44 PM
I've only been diving for about 5 years or so, wherever I go I make sure that a dive master goes down with the group or with my wife and I individually. I will even pay extra for that service, but it is well worth it. they will know where some of the local fish hang out as well as pointing out some local species that you might easily overlook plus they will know some swim throughs or caves and other interesting things.

gillies
04/21/2007, 11:14 AM
Paired up on the boat with a dive buddy - air suckers and marathon swimmers, and that's if they aren't kicking your face mask off. My advice is to hover around the boat's dive master. The pace will be reasonable, air consumption good, you can watch good technique, and he'll probably find all the cool stuff there anyway.

Samala
04/22/2007, 10:34 PM
I'm so amazed that some people dive solo! I am going to pretend that I did not read that, in fact, or I will certainly worry about all of you out there in the water! There have been several instances where the buddy system has saved me. I would never do it another way.

Its been mentioned but its good advice and bears repeating - hang out near the dive master. I cant think of many dive professionals who would force you to go it alone (or with someone you didnt trust) rather than have you hang out in their wake. If they do, they're in the wrong profession IMO.

Better yet, scope out a pair on the boat who look to be about your level of competency, and ask if they would consider becoming a trio. I have met several interesting folks this way (especially on live aboards). You could also always morph into a cute young woman, then this buddy problem disappears pretty quick. ;)

>Sarah

David P
04/24/2007, 08:25 AM
To each their own... I have heard of people having to stay in groups and follow the DM... that would just **** me off. Im going to Hawaii in June/July and hope I don't have to do that crap...
I would just buddy up with someone on board I guess, I have done that several times locally. Sometimes you meet some nice people, sometimes you decide it would be safer to solo dive for the 2nd and 3rd dive of the day.

I do solo dive occasionally, but then again I dive in big double tanks, drysuit, extra lift bag in case both forms of bouyancy take a crap... I do NOT recommend it for most vacation type divers...

I notice you are in Spokane, I know of some local divers up there that are pretty hard core divers. I am almost positive they would be happy to take a new diver under their wing and show you around. They will help you fine tune your skills... send me a PM and I can get you in touch with them.

Grunt
04/24/2007, 10:51 AM
So billsreef, where are the pics???? :D I wanna see!

I have yet to go to the Caymens, but my wife and I would like too. I've been certified for 10-11 years and she just got certified. I tend to move faster(not a speed demon like I have seen others) and see all the larger things, the fish etc etc. My wife however tends to take forever to crest a rock pile. She however finds all the nudi's and tiny gobies, misc inverts, algaes. She takes her time to look at the small stuff, I tend to see all that I can see, not enough down time. :( Even though I'm a fast swimmer I can usually outlast anyone on the boat for oxygen.

Cheers

Grunt
04/24/2007, 10:53 AM
Forgot to mention I usually hate to take the cattleboats. I'd like to try a liveaboard sometime.

Cheers

snorvich
04/24/2007, 02:28 PM
As an instructor, I essentially solo dive any time a class situation is in progress. But, not having dived except for my personal pleasure in a LONG time, I would much rather dive solo than with a buddy. In any case, as a photographer, despite having more than a couple of thousand dives, I would make a terrible buddy. Would you really like a buddy who is hovering over a single 3 meter square area for an hour or more? Do you really want a buddy who is limited more by cold than by air consumption? If you cannot self rescue, you need to rethink your scuba skills and get additional training. I am not trying to be disagreeable; I have seen many certified divers who are not really qualified to be in the water and I don't wish to buddy with them.

snorvich
04/24/2007, 02:35 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/101063manta-1.gif

Oh yes, I forgot, pictures . . .

Zephrant
04/27/2007, 11:27 PM
Well- Did a few dives last weekend- 41 degrees on the surface, about the same at 30'. Brr...

I'm working on the local buddy situation- hope to dive with the local club soon. I could use more contacts though David, thanks.

I have high hopes of making some new friends with quality divers on this trip, but want to think though my actions if I do end up on a boat with uncomfortable choices for partners. I'm not likely to dive solo yet I think, far too inexperienced at this point. Most likely either skip the dive if there is no DM getting wet, or follow them around if they are in the water. Not sure what is typical with the outfit I'm staying with.

The liveaboard sounds great, but don't think they'd like my two little ones running around, and I couldn't go anywhere without them. So that'll have to wait until they are older.

Great shot Snorvich.

Thanks again-

billsreef
04/28/2007, 06:56 AM
Brent,

It's SOP for the DM to get wet ;) Most of the ones I've met in the Caymans are local and really know the reefs, so they make great dive guides as well :)