PDA

View Full Version : mrc mr-2 users

PatrickG 78
04/01/2007, 07:43 PM
Hello, I just picked up a mr2 skimmer with 2 becketts, 1 newer style and 1 old style and no pump. I'm wondering what pump I should be running with 1 or 2 injectors? I'm trying to get full potential out of the skimmer on my 220gal tank. It will also be in the stand under the tank so noise is an important factor. Any help is appreciated, since I'm a noob I'm not familiar with brands and whats good or bad but I think I'd rather get a decent quality pump than a cheapo that will need to be replaced after a year or doesn't perform. If you have had good or bad experiences your input is greatly appreciated.
Patrick

KH971
04/01/2007, 08:39 PM
Blueline 55, a good high pressure rated pump.

necco
04/01/2007, 08:48 PM
I ran a GEN-X PCX55 when I had mine with one injector. Worked great, but not sure if you need more with 2 injectors.

PatrickG 78
04/02/2007, 07:58 PM
I wanted to utilize both injectors with this setup also can you run two injectors without adding to the riser tube lenght?
thanks

skwirl
04/02/2007, 10:52 PM
yes you can run 2 becketts without the second riser upgrade. i just sold my mr2. i wanted a nw skimmer. i had 1 new and 1 old style beckett as well. i ran a titanium t4 on mine. i only used 1 beckett though. the new becketts dont have as much head pressure as the old. i had it on a genx pcx40 at first, and it was LOUD so i switched pumps. i never regretted the move either. the t4 pumps are completely silent. the becketts make noise, but not those pumps. you would probably want to use one for each beckett though, and they are not cheap. i also hear the blueline pumps are decently quiet, but not even in the same ballpark as the t4. i think the blueline would run both becketts itself though, but you will have one beckett putting out more than the other, because the old becketts head pressure. go with 2 separate pumps if possible.
also. give it a good vinegar bath right before you hook it up, and when you turn it on, turn the air all the way off, set your water level right above the top of the black box, take the silencers off,(it will be loud, but just for 1 night) and then turn the air all the way on and let it run all night. (assuming you have the waste collector) if you dont have the waste collector, make sure your waste jug is in your sump, because you could wake up to a gang of skimmate, or even an overflowing jug. then once you get it skimming adjust it the way you want it. i left mine wide open. with the silencer on. that gave me wonderful results. ohh once you turn it on... keep your hands out of the tank, and dont feed.
1 thing to remember. as soon as you put your hands in the tank, or feed, your skimmer will immediately stop skimming. it wont start back for at least an hour or 2.

hohmfree
04/02/2007, 11:04 PM
I have a Blueline 55 running one beckett. I have purchased a 2nd injector, but have not hooked it up as of yet. I am getting great results w/ just 1.

skwirl
04/02/2007, 11:06 PM
i did as well.. those skimmers are monsters.. can you attest to the hand in the tank thing though?

PatrickG 78
04/04/2007, 04:27 PM
The t4 sounds good but do they really raise tank temp 4deg.?How much does the blue line add? I thought dry pumps didn't put heat into the water. Also anyone tried a pan world 150ps ? local guy has one for sale.
thanks

smackwater
04/04/2007, 06:24 PM
I use PW150 on Bullet2 which is single beckett. it ROCKs

Smackwater