PDA

View Full Version : Bristle Worms, Clams and Green Mandrins

zach202
04/02/2007, 05:21 AM
About a month ago I bought a C. clam, all looked well then a few days ago I noticed it didnt look so hot. I picked it up and bristle worms were consuming the inside bottom of it. Days later it still has color but has no reaction to anything and the worms are still on it.

I also purhcased a green mandrin a week ago. He appeared healthy, has plenty of pods, and is even eating frozen food, however every night his tail gets smaller and smaller. I thought it was some small serpent stars as I could see them pulling on his tail. Those are now gone and his tail is still getting smaller. Last night I noticed bristle worms are eating it.

Now about the bristtle worms, its in a 90gal tank that had an out of control algea problem for a few years. Now that Ive aquired the tank the algea is almost gone. These bristle worms are everywhere, in all seriousness there are thousands in the tank. at night there is a blanket of worms.

I was under the impression that these worms only consumed dead stuff. Are they doing this because they are starving to death?

How can I thin them out? Or will they naturally kill themselves off?

Any ideas?

turbo2oh
04/02/2007, 09:35 AM
What type of fish do you have? What about adding a natural predator?