PDA

View Full Version : Spring Break feeding- can anemone wait a week to eat?

doin' fin
04/02/2007, 07:11 AM
Spring Break is coming up...

Son has a 12 gal aquapod with one saddleback clown, a saebe crispa (sp?) anemone, small emerald crab, turbo snail, and a hermit crab. Our plans were to set up the APod with a timer for the lights but we are unsure of what to do about feeding. Any advice? The autofeeders won't fit in the AP with the lid as it is- are there any mods for that?

Thanks!

GSMguy
04/02/2007, 07:32 AM
i dont think you need to feed as long as its onle 7 days

Slakker
04/02/2007, 09:40 AM
Should be fine without feeding for a week or so.

J8851
04/02/2007, 11:17 AM
Well, this is one of the most conseversal topics in anemone keeping i think. I fed my anemone 1 time every 3 weeks and it thrived, i'm going to say 1 week is perfectly fine. Your not going to find it all shrivled up and dead or bleached as long as your lights are on.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c222/BBTclan/Jims%20Fishtank/100_0584.jpg

cschweitzer
04/02/2007, 12:23 PM
As long as you feed it beforehand and afterwards it should be no problem...youre fish may be upset with you unless you have someone sprinkle some for them.

Nevertheless, if it doesn't walk around on you(if it does, a whole other issue of problems could arise), you should be fine with the most that will happen is lose the slightest of color. Will not bleach, will not die, could walk around looking for food, which could be problematic depending on tank setup. Overall, unlikely that anything serious should arise.

doin' fin
04/02/2007, 12:41 PM
Thanks for all of the input! We purchased it about a month ago and it was bleached when we bought it... It is recovering and looks so much better. Almost completely brownish now. It still does its little shrinking and expanding thing but not like it used to. Thanks to some great advice from here it has really turned around. We are working on ways of keeping the temp. more stable in the tank. We have been trying to keep the tank well lit, but then it gets to warm... Always something! :) Thanks again!

Anemone
04/02/2007, 02:13 PM
Your anemone should be fine for a week without food. However, that being said, I would be far more worried about water parameters (primarily salinity) changes in a week's time in such a small tank. Do you have some way of getting the tank topped off?

Kevin

doin' fin
04/04/2007, 11:07 PM
I have read about an auto drip from a small tube in a pitcher placed above the tank. I think we could do this by placing a pitcher on the dresser beside the tank- but I am not sure of the evap. rate on the tank and wouldn't want to come home to an upstairs tank downstairs. Not sure that I have time to measure it now.

OrionN
04/05/2007, 05:06 AM
Vacation is not a time to see if new installation to the tank work well or not. If you don't have thing running well before vacation, it is best not install it the week before. I would get a sitter for it and keep everything the same. You got to think ahead.
If you get a sitter, mark the water level and told him to add specific amount of water to keep the water level in the mark. Portion your food out and have him feed one package a day....... Do have him, especially a non reefer, use his judgment. Disaster happen when someone have no knowledge use their judgment in take care of a reef tank.
When I am gone for one week, I always have someone come by and check the tank.