PDA

View Full Version : GBTA "hiding" under rocks

eskymick
04/02/2007, 10:25 AM
A week ago, I got a nice-sized (and apparently very healthy) GBTA from my LFS. For the first couple days it sat right where I put it and it expanded beautifully. On the third day, it relocated the main part of it's body under the live rock, and extended it's tentacles through every available opening to get some light and flow.

Now, the past couple of days it has crawled even further under the rocks and is not extending it's tentacles very much at all.

It was kept under PC lighting (for a short time) at the LFS. I have 250w 14k MH lighting in my tank. I'm not sure what this behavior means. Is it trying to get away from the bright lighting? Is it dying? Is this normal?

My water params are "perfect". I keep mainly SPS corals and they are all doing great.

Temp ~80F
SG 1.025
PH 8.1
Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates are ZERO

I dose and test daily .. my Alk, Calc, and Mag are kept at levels approximating those of NSW.

Slakker
04/02/2007, 10:59 AM
It could be just getting used to your tank, lighting, flow, water, etc.

I wouldn't worry, he should come out on his own when he's ready.

stieger
04/02/2007, 11:54 AM
I just bought a gbta and don't have MH, but Power Compaqs. Last night it apparently decided to move behind a rock also. So, this terrific thing is no longer in the center of the tank, and doesn't get direct lighting, but I think it's smart enough to know how to move "back" if it wants the direct light...

Just leave it alone, they move around all the time :)

Chances are if you move it, it'll go right back to where it was.

I had a huge bta a while back in a 175G, and it decided to move right next to the overflow. Unfortunately, after I turned the pumps off to "gently" pull the anemone out of the overflow, it had torn itself to pieces - pretty disgusting...my point, they'll go wherever they want - maybe it thought the flow was better, so it went to it's death.

Stieger

arcab4
04/02/2007, 01:02 PM
every single one i had always went into hiding and i wouldn't see it for maybe at least a week.

best thing to do is to leave them alone till they find a happy place and pay attention if they get too close to other corals or pumps.

eskymick
04/02/2007, 01:25 PM
This is my first anemone, and since nearly all of my SPS corals are on the other end of the tank .. and since I do have a pair of Ocellaris clowns, I thought it might be a good opportunity to get one.

It's looking a little bit "happier" today. I just don't want it to die on me and foul the tank. Is it safe to assume that hiding is not a symptom of dying?

arcab4
04/02/2007, 01:39 PM
i've had anemones that hid and i never saw again so it really depends.

just watch it and if it starts to shrivel up, you might have a problem.

usually when mine hides, it goes thro a process of inflating and deflating. but prolong deflated might be a sign of trouble.

hope that helps.