PDA

View Full Version : Will a Kuda be okay alone for awhile?

Duddly01
04/02/2007, 11:32 AM
Last night I lost my juvenile male. The female is eating good, but does seem a bit lonely. I may be transposing my own feelings, but she is swimming around okay but not curious and playfully. I called Draco Marine and Dan at Seahorsesource.com and neither are raising Kuda because of a flood of supper cheap Kuda from the Asian Market, which I would be afraid to touch. Any recommendations?

JennyL
04/02/2007, 01:03 PM
Although seahorses are very social creatures, she will be fine alone while you are waiting for a healthy mate.

Sorry the male did not make it. Have you determined the cause of death?

Duddly01
04/02/2007, 01:50 PM
I am suspecting a bacterial infection. His snout was pale, not quite white but very pale. His eyes were not active either. I could swear it looked liked one of his eyes bled a bit when I gave him a fresh water dip. I just installed the chiller Saturday afternoon and now the tank is staying in the mid 74 range, not fluctuating more than 0.5 deg. I think I may have waited too long for this upgrade. :(

I wish there was a good source for another Kuda playmate but the timing couldn't be worst with the market the way it is for them right now. I don't think another species would be a good idea, right?

ann83
04/02/2007, 02:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9629265#post9629265 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Duddly01
I don't think another species would be a good idea, right?

Right. You are much better off waiting to get another Kuda from the same place you got your remaining one.

Duddly01
04/02/2007, 02:40 PM
I purchased the pair from a LFS, I don't think they get them regularly. I am in there looking around every week. They were sold as Australian Bred. Any idea who or where that could be from and if I could get a mate from them directly?