PDA

View Full Version : Do I feed too much?

oli5
04/02/2007, 05:17 PM
Hi everyone. I was just wondering if I am feeding my fish too much. Currently I have a domino damsel, yellow chromis, 2 green chromis, maroon clown, heniochus, and scooter blenny. I feed them 1 cube of frozen mysis or brine or plankton (change it up), a pinch of spirulina algae flakes, a pinch of nutrafin tropical flake food, and a pinch of mysis flakes. I do this twice a day. They never finish all the food while I feed them but by the time I do this again 12 hours later there's no food left in the tank. Is this too much? Thanks.

b.branscombe
04/02/2007, 05:27 PM
I would only feed what they can consume in one sitting, say a 5-7 minute period.

HBtank
04/02/2007, 05:50 PM
Agree with the above, and I personally skip a day here and there, and do not ever stress feeding twice a day. Maybe 2-3 days out of the week I do, but the others I feed once or skip a whole day.

I try to lean towards underfeeding and not overfeeding, as long as the fish look nice and thick. I also try and keep my food choices as varied as possible.

vessxpress1
04/02/2007, 05:52 PM
IMO, that sounds like an awful lot once a day, let alone twice a day.

I have 2 maroon clowns, one small male and one 3" female and a 3" purple dottyback. They get 1/3 to maybe 1/2 of a frozen cube, sometimes soaked in selcon, per day. Just one feeding a day. They eat the majority of the food and the cleaner crew gets the scraps. The fish are very healthy and seem to be perfectly happy with the schedule.

You want them to be good and hungry when you feed, so they consume as much of what you put in as possible. My fish would eat twice a day but I think they'd pass up a lot more of it the 2nd time. Which over the long term will lead to algae problems. Within a year, you could have bad algae problems if you don't cut back some.

You don't have to feed them everything you have every day. As long as they have a balanced diet over the course of your week, that should be fine. Frozen one day, pellets and maybe some flake the next, only flakes the next day. My feeding schedule is pretty random and the food lasts a long time.

Joshua1023
04/02/2007, 06:35 PM
Too much. I usually feed on 2 days off 1 w/ nori daily.