PDA

View Full Version : A few ?'s

ReefDreamz
04/02/2007, 08:09 PM
Hey just put my rocks and sand in the tank. The rocks are sweet btw. So a few ?'s

1.) What is the little bag of brown salt? or sand? that I got with the first shipment. Should that go in the tank?

2.) I know a lot of the organisms on the rock are filter feeders and need liquid food. What exactly is liquid food and where can I get it? Also when should I start feeding.

3.) I have a drip system and kalkwasser but I havent used the kalk yet. Should I start now or can it wait. As for dosing I've dosed nothing so far. Just RO water and IO salt.

Thanks. Again the rock is awesome..lots of life orange and purple sponges lots of algea. As far as critters I've seen a sea cuc and some crabs. I sifted the left over water and found 3 gorillas which I have in a smaller tank. Cant wait for the second shipment. Oh ya the shipping process was smooth sailing. Tracked my package the whole way and the airline called me when it arrived. The packages were leak free and I found no die off.

Thanks again Richard

- Cody

liverock
04/03/2007, 08:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9632430#post9632430 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefDreamz
Hey just put my rocks and sand in the tank. The rocks are sweet btw. So a few ?'s

1.) What is the little bag of brown salt? or sand? that I got with the first shipment. Should that go in the tank?

HEY NOW

you have to read the instructions!!!!

is a bacteria..mix up and add to tank...

2.) I know a lot of the organisms on the rock are filter feeders and need liquid food. What exactly is liquid food and where can I get it? Also when should I start feeding.

after part 2

3.) I have a drip system and kalkwasser but I havent used the kalk yet. Should I start now or can it wait. As for dosing I've dosed nothing so far. Just RO water and IO salt.

after part 2

Thanks. Again the rock is awesome..lots of life orange and purple sponges lots of algea. As far as critters I've seen a sea cuc and some crabs. I sifted the left over water and found 3 gorillas which I have in a smaller tank. Cant wait for the second shipment. Oh ya the shipping process was smooth sailing. Tracked my package the whole way and the airline called me when it arrived. The packages were leak free and I found no die off.

COOL is the way is is supposed to go!
Thanks!!
Richard TBS

Thanks again Richard

- Cody

ReefDreamz
04/03/2007, 09:05 AM
Hey, I thought I did read the directions. The directions are under "the setup procedure" on your website right? I read those 10 times and didnt see anything about a little bag of bacteria. Unless...The live sand goes in first. Then using your hands, stir up the sand in the bag real well and then dump the water out of the bag as this will eliminate a lot of the silt from the sand. I guess I thought the "live sand" was what was in the big bag. Alright well I will add it now hopefully its not too late.

-Cody

liverock
04/03/2007, 09:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9635768#post9635768 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefDreamz
Hey, I thought I did read the directions. The directions are under "the setup procedure" on your website right? I read those 10 times and didnt see anything about a little bag of bacteria. Unless...The live sand goes in first. Then using your hands, stir up the sand in the bag real well and then dump the water out of the bag as this will eliminate a lot of the silt from the sand. I guess I thought the "live sand" was what was in the big bag. Alright well I will add it now hopefully its not too late.

-Cody

Never too late....instructions ,should have been in one of the boxes,

unless I spaced it!

after you add the bacteria, turn the skimmer off for a few hours to ,let the bacteria dissolve....

HowardW
04/03/2007, 10:04 AM
<<< 3.) I have a drip system and kalkwasser but I havent used the kalk yet. Should I start now or can it wait. As for dosing I've dosed nothing so far. Just RO water and IO salt. >>>

A kalk drip system may not really be necessary unless you will be adding other corals to the tank. I would also check the Ca and Mg on that IO salt after mixing as it is known to have low levels of both. The Reef Chemistry forum has great info on supplementing when using IO salt.

ReefDreamz
04/03/2007, 10:24 AM
I think you sent me the instructions for the 2nd part of the package "aclimating your critters!". Oh well no harm done. And yes I do plan on adding other corals to the tank in the future.

-Cody

liverock
04/03/2007, 11:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9636301#post9636301 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefDreamz
I think you sent me the instructions for the 2nd part of the package "aclimating your critters!". Oh well no harm done. And yes I do plan on adding other corals to the tank in the future.

-Cody

Not enough coffee!