PDA

View Full Version : top off water

sgallagher7
04/02/2007, 08:40 PM
In a new tank, ie. curing lr and sand, what should be the water of choice in my top off? Other than good ro/di? Then once the tank starts to have some life (zoa's, softies, coraline, etc) what would be the top off of choice?

Billybeau1
04/02/2007, 08:57 PM
Good ole ro/di at first.

Then once you have livestock, many people top off with limewater (kalkwasser).

sgallagher7
04/02/2007, 09:09 PM
Thanks. Thats what I thought from all my reading. As for the 2 part additive (Randy's), thats something that can be added on occasion or is it something that needs to be dosed daily? Im a little confused.

Billybeau1
04/02/2007, 09:17 PM
Once your tank is established and you know what your calcium and alkalinity consumption is, you can dose daily, bi-weekly or weekly, depending on demand.

We are striving for consistency. The more consistent your water chemistry is, the better for the inhabitants.

sgallagher7
04/02/2007, 09:40 PM
That clears up a great deal. The testing of the params, as well as using the chemistry calculator, will allow me to give accurate dosages of the 2 part, if needed. So am i correct in assuming that the kalk is for maintainance of params, and the 2 part is for corrections ( usually to raise calc and mag, as well as adjust ph)?

Billybeau1
04/02/2007, 09:49 PM
Almost.

Mag only needs an occasional correction. Calcium and Alkalinity need more frequent corrections depending on tank load.

Limewater keeps pH up and assists in stabilizing the rest.

sgallagher7
04/02/2007, 09:54 PM
Thanks. You have really helped. I dont even have the tank plumbed yet, but want to learn as much as possible.

For a lightly loaded tank, would a weekly check of all params, with kalk as my auto top off water, be the right amount, or should they be done more frequently. This of course will be after the tank has cycled.

Billybeau1
04/02/2007, 10:02 PM
Weekly would be fine in my opinion.

Keep a log sheet. Once you get established, testing for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and magnesium can go monthly. Cal and Alk I still do weekly.

I test phosphates every two weeks, just to tell when my media needs changing. :)

sgallagher7
04/02/2007, 10:05 PM
Thanks. Already have downloaded a log sheet designed for a reef keeper. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Billybeau1
04/02/2007, 10:05 PM
:thumbsup: