PDA

View Full Version : Do electronic metal halide ballasts interfere with TV's,Controllers,computer

cabowabo
04/03/2007, 12:25 PM
I was told MH electronic balasts interfere with all other electrical equiptment. Are any E ballast users getting this with their TV's, computers and more important aquirium controller devices and satellite TV ???

CaptRon
04/03/2007, 12:31 PM
yep on the TV and computer monitor. keep them on separate circuits and you won't have a problem. not sure on the controller

drives300
04/03/2007, 02:30 PM
Or you can buy a surge suppressor whith an electricity filter should take care of the problem. Monster Cable makes one you can buy at Target ,Circuit city etcc..

cabowabo
04/03/2007, 07:12 PM
Thats good to know about the surge suppressor. I was about to rethink my whole lighting plan after it took me 2 months to decide to go with an E ballast!

driftin
04/03/2007, 07:43 PM
I have my tank and tv on the same circuit. Wasn't my original plan, we wound up moving our entertainment center to an otherwise tank-only circuit.

The reviews for our tv said it would hum slightly (regardless of electronic ballasts) so when we bought the set we also bought one of the Monster power filters and it is doing a great job. Can't compare to not having the filter, but we notice absolutely no interference issues. (And it made it very convenient to power up the system - with a ton of labelled outlets on the back of it.)

It isn't cheap, but then again neither is running a new dedicated circuit. And for what it's worth, I've even read that dimmable lighting can create enough noise on a circuit to mess with a tv... I know for sure a refrigerator motor will.

D-Rod
04/03/2007, 07:46 PM
get rid of the tv...the tank is better to look at.

J. Montgomery
04/03/2007, 07:50 PM
My tank (with magnetic ballast) and plasma tv are both on the same circuit. I haven't noticed any problems.

In my apartment, the living room, dining room, and kitchen are all on the same outlet! Go figure.