PDA

View Full Version : what do coral eat

asdd
04/04/2007, 12:35 AM
Do coral need to eat real food?
Or the supplements u give is enough?

drummereef
04/04/2007, 12:42 AM
What corals do you have? I have a mixed reef with polyps, softies, lps, and a couple sps. I personally don't direct feed any of my corals.

Tony44
04/04/2007, 01:03 AM
Since its his first post, I think he is just asking in general about what coral eat, probably doesnt have any yet.

coast2coast7390
04/04/2007, 01:14 AM
plankton is always a safe choice...lol

richfavinger
04/04/2007, 01:15 AM
Corals don't need "food" per-say. They gain most of there nutrition from photosynthesis and the algae that lives in there cells (thus the need for strong lighting). How ever, corals will feed on phytoplankton you add to your system to feed other critters like polyps, pods and clams.

Do some more readin here on RC and you will find more info.

For supplements, as many would agree there are many gimmicks out there. The norm is "Don't add it if you don't test for it..." The supplement factor is taken care of by your salt mix and water changes most of the time.

The only things you should add are a 2 or 3 part Alkalinity, Calcium and Magnesium supplement. They can be easly made at home. Instructors can be found in Randy's: An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php) artical.

Best of luck! :cool:

coast2coast7390
04/04/2007, 01:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9642717#post9642717 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by richfavinger
Corals don't need "food" per-say. They gain most of there nutrition from photosymthisus and the algae that lives in there cells (thus the need for strong lighting).

do you mean "PHOTOSYNTHESIS"

richfavinger
04/04/2007, 02:02 AM
:D

Frick-n-Frags
04/04/2007, 04:19 AM
Ah yes food.
we have been heartily discussing this in other threads.

Most corals have tentacles that can catch particles of food. as far as I know, almost all stony corals eat zooplankton(little critters) naturally, and many soft corals too. Some soft corals MAY also eat phytoplankton(little algae) and I'm sure a bit of a mix gets caught whether they eat everything or not. (go check out the sponsor site called "reef chili" he mixes up a pretty mean batch of coral food from what I saw, so some people do feed their corals)

some like Xenia, don't really even have mouths. those eat via absorbtion from the water. the classic "dirty water" corals

then there is the issue of is there enough junk floating around the tank (typically bacteria riding on dust) to supplement the corals without you having to feed them. this is true for many tanks which the corals do fine with no extra food.

corals can also starve. I believe my Xenia are going to continue to shrink and disappear in a few more weeks. I've had these Xenia for probably close to 10 years but since about the beginning of feb they haven't been doing so well. I attribute this to a different maintenance routine which I started at xmas to get ready for SPS again. (an episode with a leaky powerhead didn't help the xenia a lot either)

I have mixed feelings about the xenia, which are probably going to die(bummer) but this says I have my water quality where I want it, and if my xenia starve out so be it.

edit: I also feed my coral BTW

asdd
04/04/2007, 09:48 AM
thanks alot for the quick and informative answers
i do have xaniea and i give it every day calcium and palnkton at the evning
also twice a week reef bilder and syd...somethig i cant spell(green kent bottle)
ones a week iodine and trace elemnts
and its doing fine opening and closieng its arams
that if i understand it means that its healthey

any whay thanks alot