PDA

View Full Version : Is this too much to add at one time???

benihana
04/04/2007, 08:37 AM
I will be picking up some fish this weekend to stock my tank, and was wondering if my first thoughts would be too much, or if I would be okay.

I have a 75g w/ LS and 45lbs LR (I know, I know, I need more) It has gone through it's cycles and is now ready for fish. Here is my thoughts

2 Clarkii's
1 Sebae Anemone
1 Fox Face
1 BiColor Blenny

My second thought (and probably what will actually happen) would be to add the 2 clarkii's and the Anemone this week, and then ad the Fox Face and Blenny a week or two later.

My main concern is whether or not my tank would be able to support the increased bio-load if I added them all at once with our getting another ammonia spike.

Thanks for the help

Benihana

Sheol
04/04/2007, 08:45 AM
Don't add all your fish at once! A fish a month or so is a better plan. Don't know if it actually helps, but if anything happens in a new tank, well you won't lose as much cash.

Sincerely,
Matthew

Creade
04/04/2007, 09:03 AM
If the tank just finished cycling, I wouldnt be adding an anemone, but thats me.

fishysteve
04/04/2007, 09:27 AM
I would finish adding the live rock before you put any livestock in.

Lpabsolute
04/04/2007, 09:35 AM
I would not add all the fish at once. Start with the less agressive ones first, and the most agressive one last. I would wait for my tank to cycle and add all the LR first though. Good Luck

msman825
04/04/2007, 09:59 AM
I agree with above Add all your rock first if your going to add more new rock will have too cycle also

fishysteve
04/04/2007, 10:00 AM
Patience is the most important thing to have when setting up your tank.

benihana
04/04/2007, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the input. At this time I don't plan on adding any more LR, and I will add only the pair of clowns first and then go from there.

These were the answers that I was thinking I would get, but it is always nice to confirm

Thanks
Benihana

returnofsid
04/04/2007, 10:16 AM
I'd definitely stay away from an anemone for now. Anemone's need a very mature tank to survive, especially a Sebae. They're very hard to keep as it is. I'd re-think your anemone choice over all and not add one for at least 6 months. Then I'd consider a Bubble Tip or Long Tentacled anemone.

The Foxface and the Blenny will both need a good amount of naturally growing algae in the tank to feed on. Without it, the Blenny will probably starve and die. Some eat foods you offer, others don't.

As for the live rock, I sure wish we could talk you out of the decisions you've made. 45 pounds isn't near enough for a 75 gallon tank. I understand the cost issue...it's expensive. This hobby is expensive and if you want to be in it, that's something you'll have to consider. 45 pounds of LR isn't going to offer you enough filtration. If you ever want this to be a reef tank with corals or anemone in it, I'd strongly suggest you add another 30-40 pounds of LR before anything else. If you do add fish first, if or when you add more live rock, you'll need to worry about a new cycle in the tank. That would be harmful or lethal to your fish or other inhabitants.

DiViNeLeFT
04/04/2007, 10:28 AM
i would add base rock to get you up to about 75lbs of rock total... why spend a lot of money on rock when it all becomes live with patience and time? also since there is no life on base rock it shouldn't create a cycle when it is added. this is how i started my tank... i had 20lbs of base rock and 10 lbs of live... now it all has worms, coraline, macro algaes, ect. you could also save even more money with DIY rock but that takes a while to cure.

benihana
04/04/2007, 11:35 AM
Okay, I just did some checking and found some base rock for realtively cheap (~$2/lb) so I will be adding 30 more lbs this weekend. So, I will have 75lbs of LR, and will only add the 2 clarkii's (no Anemone) this weekend.

Thanks for all of the input

Ben