PDA

View Full Version : ASM mini skimmer?

Surfer Boy
04/04/2007, 10:57 AM
hi everyone. i need a new skimmer and with all my research i have decided to get a ASM skimmer. i have one small but big problem after looking at there foot size (the base) i realized that the g1 or the g1x wont fit in my sump. my tank is a 55 gallon and i only have a few fish which i dont feed much.. they feed off my live rock. has anyone ever used the ASM mini skimmer? do you think i can get away with using it in my 55 gallon mixed reef? (asm says it is good up to 75 gallons) keep in mine that i will NOT be upgrading to a bigger reef anytime soon. thanks you Peter i need a skimmer that works :eek2:

shyland83
04/04/2007, 11:06 AM
I have the ASM Mini G in my 29g. It's sitting in a 10g sump, i have no problems with it. what size sump are you using? just realize that the footprint includes the pump and the overflow pipe, so sometimes you can turn it on an angle and fit it.

Paulairduck
04/04/2007, 11:29 AM
the ASM mini is not the greatest skimmer, the pump it comes with barely does the job. For SPS I would go with the G1X or the euro reef RS 80, and you will be very happy and not have to upgrade later.

My first vote would be for the Euro Reef RS 80

Surfer Boy
04/04/2007, 12:45 PM
i will deff look into it.. my sump is about 15 gallon but holds a total of prob 12 gallons of water tops.... the area for my skimmer is only about a max of 10.5" by a little less then 8.75". the other problem is once the skimmer is in the sump, from where the skimmer is going to be sitting to the base of my display tank is only 20 inches and that is with no room to move the collection cup... the way my stand is built it doesnt help me much on the height (of the skimmer) either.