PDA

View Full Version : Breeding setup

chbarber
04/04/2007, 11:06 AM
I am just starting up with the idea of breeding fish. I was thinking about doing a couple kinds of clowns. I have access to anything since my girlfriends dad owns a LFS that I can get anything for cheap. What do I need to start my setup? Especially what type of pump since I know the fry need to not be harmed by the pumps. Also, what type of clownfish are the best to start with. I understand that there is lots of patience required but this is what I am going to school for at NC State so I want to go ahead and get started so I have stock for my farm operations later on.

Liquidfins
04/04/2007, 12:10 PM
Go read Joyce Wilkerson's book to start.

FMarini
04/04/2007, 09:10 PM
CHbaber-
Hope you don't mind, I deleted the 3 other similar posts....seems you had a computer hiccoup

lfduty
04/07/2007, 07:23 PM
is a good book i have it and i LOVE it
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9645588#post9645588 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Liquidfins
Go read Joyce Wilkerson's book to start.

littlefish72
04/08/2007, 01:25 AM
Wilkerson's book is a must have.......that will answer alot of questions you didn't even know you had

firebirdbandit
04/08/2007, 07:17 AM
Yes read that book from back to front. One of the more time consuming parts is raising the rotifers, microalgae and feeding it to the baby clownfish. Make sure to have a dense population of rotifers before you begin breeding. Clownfish will breed better if they are the only ones in the tank.

chbarber
04/08/2007, 10:29 PM
I will draw up the setup I am planning using sketchup. I am not sure about the rotifer setup. do I need to buy some rotifers to start with or what? I know copepods just popped up in my refugium for my reef. I have a professor that I can buy a lot of rotifers off of if I need to. He runs the aquaculture program here at school and they continuously make rotifers.

Jiddy
04/09/2007, 01:08 PM
Your dating the LFS's daughter, you know a professor who grows rots.... sounds like we should ask you questions, you seem to have it all figured out, lol. Seriously, good luck

chbarber
04/09/2007, 04:58 PM
I ordered the book today. It should be in around Thursday or friday. I guarantee I will read it from front to back. This is what I am going to school for and I want to get this started so when I graduate in two years I will have a good stock to start with. Here is a picture of my setup.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/144163clownfish_tanks-med.jpg

It is two ten gallon growout tanks on top with a ten gallon sump underneath. I am going to DIY on this one with the stand and everything. The LFS that my gf dad owns has some predrilled 10gallons that I am going to use. The return to the growouts are in the same line until they reach the tank and then they I have a T to split them and dump the return back into the growouts. How much flow do I need on these two tanks? Any substrate or liverock? Or do I just need the clay pot like everyone says? Please someone help me with some numbers.

chbarber
04/09/2007, 05:08 PM
I am planning on getting two tank raised ocellaris and breeding them. How long would it take them to breed if they were the only things in the tank? Would it be better if I could get a breeding pair of Perculas?

Grunt
04/09/2007, 07:03 PM
Depends on if you buy a pair that is already breeding or you try to pair and let work it out. Could take awhile, or no time it all.

You shold plumb them either with a shutoff valve(I'm assuming thats what those are at the top) or use felxible tubing that way you can take a tank offline if you need too to clean.

Looks good so far, i'm planning a breeding system myself.
Cheers