PDA

View Full Version : Easy way to add RO making capacity

btkrausen
04/04/2007, 12:22 PM
As the title implies, I'm looking for an easy way to make RO faster, short of buying a second unit. I currenty have a Kent Marine Deluxe Hi-S RO/DI - 60gpd.

I want to buy the Kent piggyback 60gph, but can't find it anywhere in stock. I've rather try to use the same filters i'm running, but just add a second membrane.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

dmack
04/04/2007, 12:24 PM
put a booster pump on it.

goreefer
04/04/2007, 12:27 PM
Or change out the RO membrane and the restrictor to a larger gallon per day unit.

Justdrew
04/04/2007, 12:30 PM
Yeah, a booster pump does wonders for a RO/DI system.

btkrausen
04/04/2007, 12:33 PM
Using a booster pump, I could get more than 60 gpd out of it? will the water still be as clean?

Hop
04/04/2007, 01:04 PM
A boster pump is not going to work... Sorry. Have you looked into a piggyback unit? I think the fiterguys sell a piggyback unit at a decent price.

btkrausen
04/04/2007, 01:07 PM
if you look at the first post, i want to buy one, but can't find one in stock. I've been talking to Premium Aquatics since Feb for one, and I think i checked with another site as well. I'll check filterguys. Thanks.

Hop
04/04/2007, 01:07 PM
Yup, it's here (http://www.thefilterguys.biz/water_saver_ro_di.htm) at the bottom of the page.

Hop
04/04/2007, 01:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9646035#post9646035 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by btkrausen
if you look at the first post, i want to buy one, but can't find one in stock. I've been talking to Premium Aquatics since Feb for one, and I think i checked with another site as well. I'll check filterguys. Thanks.

No worries, I was just braindead and didn't read the whole post. Or if I did, I didn't remember it. "Don't worry boss, I'm wired on caffeine and running heavy machinery today" :lol:

As far as mixing and matching, your fine. Everything is a universal fit and the membranes that the filterguys use are top notch.

btkrausen
04/04/2007, 01:25 PM
I was thinking about maybe switching to the Kent Hi-Flow 200gpd unit, but it doesn't have a DI stage. Think this would make much of a difference from what I currently have?

This would be the one I'd like to get (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=KENT-RO200HIFCL&Category_Code=kentro)

This is the one I currently have (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=KENT-DMAX60HIS&Category_Code=kentro)

antony1103
04/04/2007, 01:33 PM
I'm not really sure if DI resin can handle 200 GPD of water. Thats just what i was told a while back, i'm not sure if its true or not.

jeffbrig
04/04/2007, 01:45 PM
antony, I think it would just get used up that much faster. I've never heard anyone mention a maximum "flow thru" rate for DI to be effective.

btkrausen, one option would be to split the line going into your RO stage, add a 2nd RO canister/membrane in parallel, and combine the outputs of both just before the DI stage. But how much daily output do you really need with a 76g tank? The only time I've ever needed/wanted it to be faster was on the initial fill of my 250g. After that, a small reservoir can be used very effectively to ensure you always have water on hand.

btkrausen
04/04/2007, 02:06 PM
Well, thats just it, I don't have room for a reservoir right now, which is why I'm looking for a way to make it faster when I want it.

Maybe I'm just too impatient, haha.

AZDesertRat
04/04/2007, 02:12 PM
All you need is a single Spectrapure SpectraSelect 150 GPD hand tested and guaranteed 98+ % rejection membrane. If you really want to make it fast get their piggyback for 300 GPD. I am combining a new 150 with my existing 90 for a 240 GPD system.
Spectrapure has demonstrated that their MaxCap dual DI system can handle 20 GPM or 28,000 GPD without breakthrough. Of course you won't get 28,000 gallons out of a cartridge but the flow rates are possible.