PDA

View Full Version : diatom bloom

tura71
04/04/2007, 01:42 PM
How long does this last? My lfs said that it is a sign that my tank has completed cycling, is this true? My Nitrate level is still at 20. Would a clean up crew help this? Thanks for any info.

FZ1Rider
04/04/2007, 01:45 PM
Turbo snails will cleanup diatoms but not completely. It will take time for it to go away and it is just part of the cycle. Mine went away in about 2 weeks. Then you get green algae and cyano.

Peter

Fishboy1230
04/04/2007, 01:50 PM
How long has your bloom been active? When I started my reef almost a year ago I think my bloom lasted about one to two weeks. If you have nitrates at 20ppm then cycling is definatly fuctioning, but not done as the nitrates should drop off after some time and water changes. If your amonia levels are <0 I think getting one or two snails/crabs wouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't buy a full blown crew yet since you don't (normally) want them all to die instead of one or two. The most important rule in reefing is to be patient, which isn't easy!=)

tura71
04/04/2007, 01:50 PM
will turbo snails be ok with tangs, clowns, and angel fish? That is my fish list. How many would I need to get for my 90 gallon tank? When is it ok to add them. My water tested this morning at amon 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 20
ph 7.8
SG 1.020

Fishboy1230
04/04/2007, 02:50 PM
I actually just had a problem in my reef, my nitrates jumped to >80ppm
probably around 120ppm, no ill effects, but increased hair algea.

The snails will likely become a mid meal snack.
I wouldn't recomend having tangs and clowns together, but there are those exceptions where they get along.

Maybe, 1 or 2 tangs, 1 marron clown or 2 percullas (not both), I would avoid angels if it is your first tank, but if you feel the urge and do your reading then you could do it, just make sure if your going to have this become a reef, not all angels/tangs/ other fish are reef safe.

tura71
04/04/2007, 03:15 PM
I was actually thinking a peculla clown, a hippo tang, a pajama cardinal, and maybe a coral beauty angel. I need to do more research to see if they will be ok together and in what order to add them. I'm not planning on doing a reef tank. Can I get a hermit crab to help with the algae?

spleify
04/04/2007, 08:29 PM
Hello
I have had my fowlr set up for about 4 years now. I have 2 false purcs, 1 true purc, a yellow tang, 6 green chromis's, a coral beauty, a maroon clown and a couple of damsel. They are happy as can be. I had a Passer (king) Angel. Key word being HAD. I just tore the tank down and got him out. The king angel is very cute and colorful when young, but that sure changes fast. Check this out:
Is your Passer Angel a bully too?
If that link doesnt work its in the Fish only and aggressive tank.

Fishboy1230
04/04/2007, 08:37 PM
Add the most agressive fish last and the lest agressive last. I once had a wonderful, large (3-5inches) hermit who inhaled all forms and shapes of algea before my eyes! But I had to return him since he was eating my anemonies!!! I got some blue leg crabs to replace him, but 10 haven't eaten nearly as much as the first crab. I your gona make this a reef try some blue legs, is it is going to be a Fish only then try larger crabs. Is this tank going to be a reef? What filter is running on this system? What is the size, lights,etc.

serum153
04/04/2007, 09:34 PM
My marroon clown and scopas tang are lovers. They never leave eachothers side. Dunno if you have seen pj cardinals, but they are boring. Look into the Bangaii Cardinals and a couple of those would be much more appealing then the pj.