PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Featherdusters On my cured live rock?

Pholder
04/04/2007, 10:42 PM
Hello guys i'm very new to the hobby and I have been working on getting my tank up and running for a while now. I had a few snags in the begining but thanks to these forums I have learned a ton.

My question is I have seen these little feather duster looking things on my Live rock, the live rock was bought from a LFS and is cured. Are these bad? I have read a post on another forum that said they were hydroids but i Looked hydroids up and what i found looks nothing like whats on my Live rock.

A better description of the creatures I am talking about is here. They have a base that shoots off the rock (its a tan color) and there are about 4 to 5 looking feathers shooting out of the tip and the feathers are a white color. The feathers move with the flow of the water. I haven't seen them close up. When I say small i would say I would measure them using milimeters.

Let me know what you think.

serum153
04/04/2007, 10:49 PM
They are fine and I have one that came with my rock about 6" long. The scopas has really been beating them up lately though.

Pholder
04/04/2007, 10:55 PM
That sounds like a feather duster, these things are about 600 times smaller than that 6" feather duster. I know that featherdusters are common hitchhikers on live rock. I guess im just wondering if these little looking things are just baby feaher dusters? And are going to get bigger.

Rock Anemone
04/04/2007, 10:57 PM
Just a type of feather dust/fan worm. Most stay pretty small, some get bigger. Perfectly beneficial. :D

Rock Anemone
04/04/2007, 10:58 PM
BTW!

Pholder,
[welcome]

EvilE
04/04/2007, 10:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9650632#post9650632 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pholder
That sounds like a feather duster, these things are about 600 times smaller than that 6" feather duster. I know that featherdusters are common hitchhikers on live rock. I guess im just wondering if these little looking things are just baby feaher dusters? And are going to get bigger. I have the exact same thing on one of my rocks that literally showed up overnight!!! It is very cool looking though!! How fast do these baby featherdusters grow???

Pholder
04/04/2007, 11:05 PM
Ok, sounds good i like them i just wanted to make sure before they got to out of hand. Thaks for the welcome.

Tony44
04/05/2007, 12:32 AM
Got any pictues of it?

Pholder
04/05/2007, 01:12 AM
Yea but there so small you cant really see them. Ill post it tomorrow. Also if you want to see what I have done so far got to PZPLACE.com and click on My Marine tank thats all that i have done so far...... Alot of issues but i fixed them.

Pholder
04/05/2007, 10:37 AM
Check' em out
http://www.pzplace.com/fdusters.jpg

EvilE
04/05/2007, 06:54 PM
too blurry

IMAGINEER
04/06/2007, 10:19 AM
isnt that Aptasia ?

johnnymac
04/06/2007, 01:07 PM
I have this photo of one in my tank is it the same thing
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t157/johnnymacsnano/DSC_0012.jpg

robertifly
04/06/2007, 02:09 PM
i've got'em also, cool ain't they

Canarygirl
04/06/2007, 02:14 PM
I wonder if that's what I've got...

very small tubes, a few 1/16th's of an inch, with a couple tentacle-type things sticking out, and a long string of mucous trailing into the water. These things showed up over a couple of days on a single rock. The mucous string is very weird.

Pholder
04/06/2007, 04:28 PM
Yep those are them! They are very cool. Thats settles it then.

EvilE
04/06/2007, 04:53 PM
mines not blue and orange though--but it looks identical other then the color--mine is more a beige color

costa13
04/06/2007, 05:01 PM
I also have those on my LR in all different colors. I have read in many different places that these tiny featherdusters are very benefial to your aquarium.

Pholder
04/07/2007, 04:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9662960#post9662960 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Canarygirl
I wonder if that's what I've got...

very small tubes, a few 1/16th's of an inch, with a couple tentacle-type things sticking out, and a long string of mucous trailing into the water. These things showed up over a couple of days on a single rock. The mucous string is very weird.

I have noticed the Mucus string as well, I thought it was from my Mexican Turbo Snails? Is it from the Feather dusters?

Yellym
08/10/2015, 10:03 PM
Hey guys,
I just started my reef tank a week and a half ago and I have a few questions I hope you guys can answer!
First off, I have these little white things (I don't really know how to explain them) that are on my cured rock. I have approximately 4 of them and I have no clue what they are, any ideas?
Also, my salinity level is 1.0275 and I don't know how to lower it to a salinity level good enough to put fish in.
Please help!!
Thank you :)

jayball
08/11/2015, 12:32 PM
Hey guys,
I just started my reef tank a week and a half ago and I have a few questions I hope you guys can answer!
First off, I have these little white things (I don't really know how to explain them) that are on my cured rock. I have approximately 4 of them and I have no clue what they are, any ideas?
Also, my salinity level is 1.0275 and I don't know how to lower it to a salinity level good enough to put fish in.
Please help!!
Thank you :)

Generally speaking you should make your own thread...

For the ID, post a picture in the hitchhiker ID sticky thread, someone will let you know.

For the salinity problem. First make sure you are at your normal water line either in the DT if you are sumpless or in the return compartment in your sump. Make sure you have been topping off with fresh water only. Last make sure you are measuring accurately.
To fix it just remove a little salt water and replace with RO/DI water until you get to your target salinity.

YummyMummy
12/09/2015, 03:07 PM
Hi, thank you for this thread, I found a couple of these on a mushroom rock and they are only a few millimetres in diameter, do you know how big these may get and how quickly they could spread? I really like them but have to struggle to see them so would love them to get a bit bigger if they're harmless. Thank you

davocean
12/09/2015, 06:27 PM
They stay pretty small.
I love those things, used to have them on my rock but a copperband ate em all up.
My new tank will not have a CBB, so I plan to have feathers of all kinds

YummyMummy
12/10/2015, 03:51 AM
That's a shame, they are pretty cool, maybe they cover a rock then instead cause that would look pretty good. I might look into getting a larger one from my lfs. Thank you :)