PDA

View Full Version : How can I tie two tanks together?

StrategicReef
04/05/2007, 12:30 AM
I would like to add a 2nd 10G small tank (fuge) slightly higher but beside my current tank 24G, a maxijet will deliver the water to this tank, and the water will "drain" back to the display.

For the drain back, Do I just build it like a overflow with durso setup? it safe to do? I plan to have a flow switch on the second tank to stop the incoming water incase something is clogged.

The other thing I want to avoid is to dump too much water back to the display if the pump does stop.

Note, I am not trying to setup a sump.. I am trying to increase volume of water, and possibly keep some different livestock in the 2nd tank. So the flow rate from different tank does not need to be high, as long as they can share the heating and cooling.

Thanks in advance any experience you can share in this matter.

Tennsquire
04/05/2007, 01:48 PM
FWIW, I didn't want to keep softies in my prop tank, so I added another tank to it. It has a sump, so it just pumps water up to the added tank, and the overflow takes it back to the sump so that the tanks share skimmer, heater, and so forth. As long as your new tank is higher than your current tank, it should work. You just have to make sure that it has the volume to hold the water from the new tank that will flow "downhill" in case of a power outtage. HTH

StrategicReef
04/05/2007, 04:27 PM
I am concerned about the height of the inlet and outlet of the higher tank, I think the inlet could be slightly above water level to avoid excess drainback when power is off.

for the outlet, do you have teeth / grating / overflow compartment etc?
Is it loud draining back to the display tank?

I think some bulk head comes with critter guard, so as long as it is not loud, I don't want the extra work of building overflow and compartments.

sixspeed
04/05/2007, 05:08 PM
if you want to tie two tanks together all you need is a piece of string....