PDA

View Full Version : Jumpy, startled Scopas & Flame.

Tang Salad
04/05/2007, 04:26 AM
I have a Scopas tang(3.5"), a Flame angel(2"), a Maroon clown(2"), and a tiny Hippo tang in a 120g. They've all been in the tank for over a year. No aggression, no (visible) disease, and plenty of caves and swimming room.

The strange thing is, within the last two months the Scopas and the Angel have become very jumpy. They spend most of their time moving in and out of the rockwork. When they swim out in the open, they frequently get startled and dart back in again.

In the past they'd all swim up to the feeding corner for feeding time; now they don't even do that. Instead they wait for the food to disperse and then eat it out of the water column.

They even get startled when they see me approach:(

All very strange as these are old fish showing a new behavior.

Any ideas what could cause this?

The only thing that came to mind is stray voltage, but I haven't 'felt' any and don't even know if this would cause jumpiness.

nano10
04/05/2007, 05:35 AM
You may not fell any current, there could still be some in it. Most Aquiriums have it. Are you using a grounding probe?

Tang Salad
04/05/2007, 05:38 AM
Thanks Nano.

No, I'm not using a grouding probe. All I've read on them seems very inconclusive. Half the people say you must have one, the other half say they're certain suicide.

Anyway, do you guys think stray voltage would cause the behavior I described?

Tang Salad
04/05/2007, 06:30 PM
Anyone?

Icefire
04/05/2007, 08:44 PM
I don't think stray voltage would be the cause..

Not enought fish in there? lol

Tang Salad
04/05/2007, 11:57 PM
Thanks Icefire :)

You don't think stray voltage could do this?

Maybe there really aren't enough fish? :lol:

I did used to have two more. Come to think of it, his behavior changed about the time I took bossman Coral Beauty out. It was a rather dramatic netting incident. :confused:

Any other ideas?

gary faulkner
04/06/2007, 01:56 PM
It was a rather dramatic netting incident.

I think you just answered your own question.

jimwat
04/06/2007, 02:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9662827#post9662827 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gary faulkner
I think you just answered your own question.

Me too! :D

The other thing I was wondering is if you have any young kids in the house? Mine know better than to terrorize the fish, but their friends...:rolleyes: