PDA

View Full Version : please help me help the helpless

crhis
04/05/2007, 07:14 AM
i'm trying to help a friend set up a 120 fish only .
I am trying to find some good newbie articles ........ like something on the nitrogen cycle (she thinks 2 days after the tanks filled she can add a bunch of fish)
"the guy at the lfs said so" is what i'm starting to hear a lot.
so any help is greatly appreciated.

jmait769
04/05/2007, 07:20 AM
Have them thoroughly read the links in the sticky above ^^^^ by Waterkeeper. I followed his <a href=http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=239848” target="_blank">So you got a new fish tank Newbie</a> thread and it will answer most questions. It’s a long read but well worth it IMO.

HTH

Jay

six.line
04/05/2007, 08:17 AM
Yes, would definitely just tell them to get a more wide range of opinion.

In the end, though, it's their mistake to make you know? Your best bet (if you can't convince them otherwise at the moment) is to let them make the mistakes and then be ready when they come to you for advice because if they do what the LFS says, they'll end up dropping insane amounts of money into something that we all know will crash.

OR...

They'll get so disgusted with the hobby they'll want to get out and you can buy all their stuff at a discount! Just kidding. :D

crhis
04/05/2007, 08:29 AM
unfortunately mistakes have already been made. buying used equipment without knowing what they were buying .
that's a real fun story ......I really cannot get in to it now.

matasw
04/05/2007, 08:51 AM
Definantly get multiple opinions on everything. I"ve made the msitake several time of listening to one person (particularly at the LFS) and having it end up not so well. What works for one person may not work for you.