PDA

View Full Version : Flame Angel Eye Problem??

tenwhiteduke
04/05/2007, 08:28 AM
I have a Flame Angel that is showing signs of a cloudy eye. One so far. I dont see any spots on her, and she is not rubbing on the LR or LS.

Is this a sign of itch? My clowns seem to be fine.

Approximately four days ago, my tank has been filled with these small micro white bugs. I was told in another forum, that they were copepods and were good for the tank. They seem to be taking over my tank. I noticed this morning once turning on the lights that the flame angel came out of her cave, and had them on her body, she went up to the hydrojet to blow them off. They did come off of her. One of my Maroons is eating them too.

Again they are everywhere the walls, the water is full of them. I was told to leave them that they are great for my tank.

I need help with my angel and my tank.

My camera died too, cant get a picture till tomorrow.

tenwhiteduke
04/05/2007, 02:01 PM
Bump

tenwhiteduke
04/06/2007, 06:06 AM
OK somebody needs to have an answer here or something.

After speaking with my LFS, they seem to think its not Itch, but some kind of bacterial problem. I checked my levels and all was ok, except my PH was a little low at 7.8. I put in a PH booster.

As for the Angel, again eyes are cloudy, and now has white spots of discoloration on the sides of his body. Not little specs like Itch. I was told to do a Formulin Dip!

Any suggestions of ideas from someone?

HELP

Blinkgyrl2987
04/06/2007, 12:57 PM
I feel your pain I have a flame angel and I am going through a similar problem.

Let me try to help. First I think its safe to say that your flame is being affected by something. So the first priority would probably be to get her out of the tank. How easy is this going to be for you? Your best bet would be to set up a temporary hospital tank, that way you can leave the angel out to observe her and do treatments as well to see if you can relieve some of the problems.

Be for warned though mantaining a non cycled hospital tank is extremely difficult. I have my angel out in a 10 gallon right now. and even when I dont add medication directly to the tank and I choose to use a separate bucket and gve her medication "baths" the ammonia in the hospital take is at .5 just after one day!

What I have done is taken a large trashcan and mixed saltwater and I threw a heater in there. That way every day when I get up I can testthe ammoina and take out a few old buckets of water and throw in a few new ones ( This seems to keep the ammonia in check)

I'm really bored right now so I'm going to go on to give you as much of my opinion as I have. My Flame angels cloudy eye isn't going away it doesn't seem to be improving and I'm really upset about it. What I can tell you is that if you keep the water super pristine in a hospital tank and use Maracyn 2 the cloudy eye should improve in a matter of days.. ( that is if its not a serious situation which it doesn't sound like yours is that serious yet)

How long have you had this angel. What has its normal behavoir been prior to this that you have noticed? As long as your angel isn't stressed and your water parameters are good and no one has been picking on her its hard to say why this cloudy eye has popped up.

I am still not 100% sure how this happened to my fish either. And I have no idea about these white specks you are talking about. Copepods are like little critters that you usually see on your live rock when you turn the lights on in the morning ( they go scurrying away really quickly and they don't like the light so it seems unnatural that you would be seeing all kinds of them) And they definitely would not be stuck to your fish. Copepods are usually more clearish in color than white.

If you could describe more about them and what exactely the discoloration looks like I might be able to offer more ideas. Pictures would help!!!

If you'd like to PM me thats cool too. Maybe we can help each other with our dilemmas.

HTH Megs~

Blinkgyrl2987
04/06/2007, 01:09 PM
Also if you don't see the fish flicking or trying to rub itself ...that is a good sign. My angel had ick and I have since medicated and seen all the white spots go away but I am still continuing treatment because she still twitches from time to time. Plus the parasite can still live in the water for awhile, so the large water changes are probably helping to eradicate the parasite.

Seeing the white spots go away has been my only success so far. She still has fraying fins, a small area of cloudyness on the tail fin ( instead of being perfectly translucent) and a cloudy popped out eye!- it really is pathetic looking... aside from that though she is beautiful.

This sucks and all I can say is if I can get the parasites away for sure and anything bacterial gone then I will put her in my main tank. I'm just scared because I don't want to introduce something into my main tank. That could be a nightmare. But the cloudy eye alone would not be something that would necessarily require removing the fish from the tank. As long as its not an infection or a parasite it should go away on its own with improved water quality and diet. Or it may stay scarred with the cloudyness ( which is what I think I'm going to end up finding out in my situation.. because its just not getting better and I am medicating)

Still how will you know that its not Ick or an infection if you don't take the fish out to attempt treatment? I would try a hospital tank. Thats the only best thing I think you could try.