PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish won't eat

aschroeder
04/05/2007, 10:23 AM
I posted this in the fish disease forum and didn't get any response, so I thought I'd try here.

I have a fully cycled, established 20 gallon tank that I added 2 fish to last Friday. My parameters are perfect. I added a Ocellaris Clown and a Purple Pseudochromis. The Pseudichromis is doing great and eating everything I've offered. The clown is acting very healthy, but refuses to eat. I've offered him frozen brine shrimp, Thera +A pellets, dried mini krill, and marine flake food. He ate one pellet a couple days ago, but that's it. He ignores everything.

So it's been almost a week with basically no food. What should I try next? I'm going to make a run to the fish store, and I'd appreciate any recommendations on what type of food to buy for him.

fish2
04/05/2007, 10:58 AM
try emerald entree it has a wider variety of offerings in it

mwwhite
04/05/2007, 11:15 AM
Ours eat like pigs..... a week with no food -- wow -- ours love frozen mysis.....

markzfishn1
04/05/2007, 11:33 AM
Try soaking some food in garlic. That usually helps with picky or non-eaters

aschroeder
04/05/2007, 01:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9653514#post9653514 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mwwhite
Ours eat like pigs..... a week with no food -- wow -- ours love frozen mysis.....

I have an Ocellaris in my home aquarium that eats like a pig too. I'm not sure what this one's problem is. I'm going to buy some different frozen options and mix with garlic. Hopefully that will do the trick.

LePep
04/05/2007, 02:13 PM
I bought an Ocellaris about a month ago and it wouldn't't eat for about a week and a half. All of a sudden it began to eat and now takes anything I put in the tank. I added garlic to the tank and also to the food every time I fed.

Gook luck!

HBtank
04/05/2007, 02:18 PM
Keep trying new foods. Mysis is one that I have yet to see a fish refuse.

vsnsofadrgn
04/05/2007, 02:41 PM
def try the garlic. works like a charm.

brccoins
04/05/2007, 05:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9654769#post9654769 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LePep
I bought an Ocellaris about a month ago and it wouldn't't eat for about a week and a half. All of a sudden it began to eat and now takes anything I put in the tank. I added garlic to the tank and also to the food every time I fed.

Gook luck!

Same here. I bought mine and they looked perfectly fine and everything but they took about a week or so to start eating. I think that's pretty standard and should be expected.

A sea K
04/05/2007, 06:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9656204#post9656204 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by brccoins
Same here. I bought mine and they looked perfectly fine and everything but they took about a week or so to start eating. I think that's pretty standard and should be expected.
I agree here as well. I have 2 pairs of percs in two seperate tanks and have been through several individuals trying to pair them up.( a couple of Occ too) It seemed that any new clown would refuse food as you describe but came around within a week or two.
Be patient, keep an eye on the fish for signs of decline, and be very carefull not to overfeed in an attempt to get your clowns to eat. (I am guilty of the last part).
Good luck, Chris

deuce6371
04/05/2007, 07:00 PM
Does it feel safe, I mean does it have a space of its own to hang out, rock cave. Pseudos are devils, make sure it is not harrassing it and stressing it out.

sixspeed
04/05/2007, 07:02 PM
hey i got a OC clown for my 10g nano, and it took him a while before he started accepting prepared foods. Try Ocean Nutrition's Formula One, the clown wouldnt eat frozen brine shrimp but as soon as i offered the formula one he ate it right up.

good luck

HolyScoly
04/05/2007, 08:21 PM
i also agree with garlic based foods

cabowabo
04/05/2007, 08:34 PM
Try Live brine

aschroeder
04/09/2007, 01:44 PM
I tried mysis shrimp with garlic, and he wouldn't touch it. Fortunately this weekend he finally started eating Thera +A pellets. So It appears that he's going to make it. Thanks for the feedback.