PDA

View Full Version : More light?

Cicio
04/05/2007, 03:43 PM
I just bought a 55 gallon tank and I am completely new to this. I have 40 watts for a light, 45 pounds of live sand, 75 pounds of live rock, a Kenya tree and three fish; a tang, damsel and a pajama cardinal. I think I need more lighting but I am not sure. All the lights that I find cost so much. I think I can make one for cheaper but I am not sure how much light I need please advise.

:bum:

salty3
04/05/2007, 03:53 PM
For softy you should have 3 to 5 watts per gallon. So for a 55 you should be anywere from 165 to 275 and you will need more for sps anemones or clams.

marduc
04/05/2007, 04:25 PM
The kenya tree would benefit from more lighting.. what is your future vision of this tank, adding more coral, or keeping this a fish only tank for the most part? this will affect the lighting choices, as well as what types of corals ect. you eventually want to keep.

As far as lighting, for a reef tank the 2 biggest expenditures for set up are the LR/LS and clean up critters, and the lighting. Watts per gallon is a guideline, not a rule since different types of lighting have more output for the same wattage than other choices.

That being said, for the most flexible lighting option I would look into T-5 lights, especially if you want to keep corals, this way you can avoid a future lighting upgrade when you find VHO's don't cut it for that acrapora you want to keep. I currently run 4 t-5 lights on a 55 gallon aquarium, for a total of 210 watts, I can keep light demanding species higher in the tank, and low light demanding ones in the bottom, even in shaded areas if needs be.

Unfortunately there is no simple answer to lighting questions, aside from that to meet the lighting requirements for most corals it will cost a decent chunk of money regardless of which of several available types of lighting you choose, and there are very few ways to avoid it. The Kenya Tree will almost certainly suffer under your current lighting, and its going to take you a bit of research and learninng to make a decent decision on what is best for you and your new responsibilities, whether the outlay of cash warrants keeping the coral, and being able to keep more in the future, or if it is in the corals.. and your wallets best interest to find a new home for the kenya tree until you are able to properly meet the requirements to care for it.

Scuba_Steve
04/05/2007, 05:40 PM
^^^^ What he said. Go for a HO T5 fixture, either 4x54w or 6x54w. With the 6 you will be able to keep more demanding things a bit further down. If you just want to stick to softies then 4x65w power compact will work also, but you will be happier with t5 in the long run.

zma21
04/05/2007, 06:32 PM
t5's have more choices for coloration also.