PDA

View Full Version : Newbie ?

gen1runner
04/05/2007, 05:02 PM
First and foremost hello! I have been keeping Malawi Cichlids for about 2 years now and now Ive got the Reef itch. I planning on tearing down a 10g to start my first nano but first I had a quick lighting question. I was planning on using 2 of the diy 70watt MH lights with 2 50/50 coralife bulbs in a custom hood. Is this over kill or would the MH lights be plenty. I also was wondering what Kelvin rating would be best I really like the look of a 20k MH bulbs how they have a blueish tint. I plan on housing liverock, some corals(probably from Drsfostersmith nano packs) and a clownfish or two. Any suggestions comments are very much welcome I would like to do this right the first time. Thanks!!

SoCalLifer
04/05/2007, 06:18 PM
The 10 is a great nano to start with. Only one 70 watt mh will be necessary. The 20K will be fine if you like the look of the blue tint. A pair of clowns are doable in this tank as well. Good luck.

gen1runner
04/05/2007, 06:41 PM
would 2 70watt MH be to much? Or could I do the 2 70's and leave out the 50/50 bulbs? I plan on building this all into a canopy with 2 fans to help with cooling.

Lpabsolute
04/05/2007, 06:51 PM
I would go with one 70w MHL and use the 50/50's to fill in. Should work nicely.....

gen1runner
04/05/2007, 07:30 PM
sounds good! I just started looking at the size of the halogen light I bought and 2 would be to much now that I look at it . So I will probably go with the 1MH and probably 4 50/50 bulbs 2 on each side of the MH. I think Im going to go with 4 only b/c I read they dont distribute the light very well. Im going to polish up some aluminum sheet metal at work for a reflector to help remedy this. Im really starting to get excited about this project. Ill post pics as soon as I get parts together to start building:)