PDA

View Full Version : 40g needs a light upgrade. Currently using Aqualight pro

MarineGirl411
04/06/2007, 12:46 AM
Hi everyone,
I am currently using an Aqualight pro Fixture. This is for my 40 breeder aga I have. This aqualight pro uses a 150w MH, and 2 65 watt pc's. For those that might not know. I'm sure many of you do though. Anyway, there doesn't seem to be enough light in my tank. Some of my Monti's are turning a brownish color. I have a Crocea clam that has lost some color after coming from my dealers tank that housed a 400watt mh and T' 5s. So, a big question. How should I upgrade my lighting? I know that Nova has a T-5 fixture that can be linked with up to 6 other t-5 fixtures. Each T-5 is only 21 watts. Should I go with that? Another option might be an extra 250 MH I have laying around. I didn't want to use it on this tank because it made my apartment very hot when I used it on my 150g planted tank. =/ Didn't like that. I also do not have a chiller. What would your suggestions be? I'd like to house more Acro's Mille's and clams. I'd appreciate some advice. TY.

sir_dudeguy
04/06/2007, 09:35 AM
I'd say go with just t5's. This is what i'm gonna be getting for my 40 breeder since everyone is recommending it to me.
http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Sunlight_Supply/Tek_Retrofit_Kits/36_inch__Retrofit:_4-39W_T5_HO_Fluorescents_by_Sunlight_Supply

Its supposedly a very good light rig (there is also a set fixture too if you dont want to do a retrofit. I just put that retro because its a bit cheaper...same thing tho) and it should allow you to grow anything you want in your 40 breeder.

jc9394
04/06/2007, 11:39 AM
I would go with the Ice Cap T5, they give out 25% more light as they will over drive the T5.

sir_dudeguy
04/06/2007, 04:35 PM
Just upgrade the reflectors on that one to the icecap reflectors. Its 8 bucks difference. At least thats what they told me when i emailed them.