PDA

View Full Version : New Sand ?

SHAWNLX86
04/06/2007, 08:01 AM
I put 4 30lb bags of argonite sand in my new tank. I was in a bit of a rush yesterday and only washed 2 bags of sand, so my tank looks like a big glass of milk. I know this is somewhat normal. Is there anything I can do to speed up the clearing process. should I shut off my powerheads or leave them on? Will my skimmer help get rid of some of the dust? It's been about 18hrs and the tank does not look much different than yesterday. How long will it take for the dust to settle (no pun intended):)

rustybucket145
04/06/2007, 08:06 AM
Leave the powerheads on. A hob filter will help clear it a little faster, so will carbon or a cannister filter. If you don't have either, it will be ok, it will just take longer. You could be looking at a couple of weeks before your water gets real clear.

drummereef
04/06/2007, 11:01 AM
Time is the best healer for sandstorms. No need to worry, it will pass soon enough. Just leave the powerheads and skimmer on. ;)

Dholmblad
04/06/2007, 11:10 AM
my aragamax cleared up in half a day.

papagimp
04/06/2007, 11:23 AM
I just did the same thing not too long back with some pulverized limestone for a 42g hex. Got nice and milky looking. Took about a week to clear up completely, and that was with me cleaning and rinsing the sponge filter in the HOB a couple times a day to get rid of that fine dust in the water.

SHAWNLX86
04/06/2007, 04:22 PM
I can just barely make out the rocks in the front @ 24hrs later, so I guess I'll just wait it out. The thing that stinks is my tank was filled about 1/2 way with h20 up the rocks when I dumped in the sand and it was hard to tell what it would look like once the tank was completely filled with water and now I cant see anythink and I'm dying to see if it looks good or not. Let the waiting begin!!