PDA

View Full Version : Cycled Now the fun begins

Hamish
04/06/2007, 12:33 PM
Hi All
My cycle is done, Now the fun begins. Wait sloooow down. No really I had my water tested by the LFS and they gave me the thumbs up. Then I went to my favorite Reef store and sure enough I'm good to go.
Should I put a few snails in then wait a couple of days,then start with Two Clown fish, The same variety of course and then wait and interduce the rest of the clean up crew. One question that you guys can answer is about Calcium. I continue to get 300, My test kit is a Seachem titrate kit that was recently purchased.
I was told by a reliable source that this reading is normal if I'm not supplementing. And if I do have to supplement How much and what with?
I bought some Joe juice and had treat for apstatia. (not spelled right I'm sure) That stuff works pretty good. Thanks for you're help. Jim

drummereef
04/06/2007, 01:00 PM
I'd start with your cleanup crew. I like nassarius for the sandbed and astreas for the glass. You're probably safe to go ahead and add the clowns too. As for the calcium, it is low. I would look into using a 2-part suppliment, like ESV or Randy's 2-part, to keep your alkalinity and calcium in balance. I use Randy's homeade recipe and its great. You will want to manually adjust your levels using Turbo Calcium to boost your calcium levels and baking soda for alkalinity. Then maintain the desired levels with daily additions of 2-part. Remeber to always test before dosing anything into the system. ;) Target 7-11dkh for alkalinity and 380-450 for calcium.

Please read the following:
How to Select a Calcium and Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

And use this calculator to help in dosing:
Reef chemicals calculator
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

handapanda
04/06/2007, 01:02 PM
I think you probably won't have to dose calcium. Regular water changes should provide you tank with enough. I'm assuming that since you don't even have fish that your tank it not stuffed with SPS. Dosing calcium is mainly for large systems with heavy loads of SPS and LPS.
Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Blown 346
04/06/2007, 01:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9662266#post9662266 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hamish
Hi All
My cycle is done, Now the fun begins. Wait sloooow down. No really I had my water tested by the LFS and they gave me the thumbs up. Then I went to my favorite Reef store and sure enough I'm good to go.
Should I put a few snails in then wait a couple of days,then start with Two Clown fish, The same variety of course and then wait and interduce the rest of the clean up crew. One question that you guys can answer is about Calcium. I continue to get 300, My test kit is a Seachem titrate kit that was recently purchased.
I was told by a reliable source that this reading is normal if I'm not supplementing. And if I do have to supplement How much and what with?
I bought some Joe juice and had treat for apstatia. (not spelled right I'm sure) That stuff works pretty good. Thanks for you're help. Jim

I would add the clean up crew, snails, crabs etc. I would wait to add clowns or any fish for about a week to make sure the tank stays stabile.

You can introduce your complete clean up crew if you want.

I wouldnt supplement anything now. You dont have anything soaking up the calcium. I would do a water change, the salt mix you use will have plenty of the elements your tank needs to get things in their correct range. The only time I would supplement anything is if your system is heavily stocked with things that use up alot of those elements like clams, SPS, etc.

I have SPS,LPS,Softies Clam etc and never have to supplement, the water changes replace everything I need. My calcium is on avergae at 485, and never drops below 470. The tank is new and needs to get stabile, Things will slowly get to there range.