PDA

View Full Version : Koralia 4 and stray current ?

Mac Inger
04/06/2007, 01:40 PM
I know there has been recalls on the 2s and 3s. Has anybody had a problem with the 4s ?

Today when doing some work in the sump i felt a prickling sensation on my finger. I have a little cut. I dont feel the prickling in other "healthy" fingers.

I turned off everything and started plugging pumps and heaters one by one. It ends up being the two Koralia 4s i have.

What do you guys think and what d you suggest would be my next move ?

thanks

Ergin

Horace
04/06/2007, 08:17 PM
Well I just got two of them and I sure hope this is an isolated incident!

Hop
04/06/2007, 08:48 PM
I've had zero problems with mine.

HowardW
04/06/2007, 09:43 PM
<<< turned off everything and started plugging pumps and heaters one by one. It ends up being the two Koralia 4s i have.

What do you guys think and what d you suggest would be my next move ? >>>

I would call Hydors toll free number and tell them what happened and see what they say, and then let us know what happened please.

chaffey
04/06/2007, 11:49 PM
I think it was the injured finger, happended to me all the times.

Mac Inger
04/06/2007, 11:58 PM
It definitely is the scraped finger. I cannot feel the difference in an uninjured finger as i said. T

To my scientific test :
Put the scraped finger in the sump with both Koralias turned off. I can feel a very tiny prickling.
Turn on one of them i feel it more. Turn the second and again more. Now this is hardly evidence but if there is a way to test accurately i am open to suggestions.

Also to any of you guys with Koralias, it might be worth a papercut to see if you can feel it : )

davocean
04/07/2007, 10:30 AM
So,... you're suggesting we cut ourselves and stick our injured/bleeding fingers in tanks and start turning on pumps?
Was this supposed to be posted on April 1st?
Maybe you should submit this idea to the good folks at Koralia so they can update their testing methods.

Lo0seR
04/07/2007, 10:38 AM
This is the most common feeling you get in a LFS store cleaning tanks. If you have a hang nail it's the worst, feels like 10,000volts but it's "NO" bleeding of current, just a common thing that happens that gets confused with electrical shock because it feels the same. Call a local LFS store and ask them if it ever happens to them and they will give you the same run down you gave us.

davocean
04/07/2007, 10:48 AM
By the way, when I think of an open cut in a tank, this pic always comes to mind.
This dude cut himself on a piece of LR.
It may be a freak accident, but it keeps my injured fingers out of the tank.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e141/mermail/thumb1.jpg

Mac Inger
04/07/2007, 11:40 AM
Davo,..sense of humor man : ) I didnt mean to start panic, just an observation i made i thought i would share and ask the more knowledgeable people about. Again if you guys have any ideas on how to test this correctly i am more than willing to do it.

That finger is pretty mangled though .... i just had a papercut.

Rueg
04/07/2007, 12:10 PM
Perhaps the flow of water being pushed into the cut causes it to 'tingle' more? Perhaps that is why it tingles more when the pumps are on because the water is moving across the cut?

bigcat39
04/07/2007, 12:11 PM
Ulp....Thanks, Davo, I WAS eating lunch!
No probs w/ my 2 4's

Mac Inger
04/07/2007, 03:31 PM
Rueg,...thats not the case as i had my finger in the sump instead of in the tank. Turning on the pumps you really feel the difference in the tingle.

Bigcat and Hop,...what do you mean when you say you have no problem? have you tested somehow ?

Hop
04/07/2007, 03:41 PM
I was just saying that they have worked flawlessly and that I have noted no stray current on my pumps. As far as taking a volt meter to test for stray current, I have not done so. Hope your problem is nothing major.

Have you tried narrowing down to either pump or is it both of them?

Mac Inger
04/07/2007, 06:38 PM
Mine have been working great since i got them too. I wouldn't have noticed anything if i didn't have a cut in my finger. It is both pumps not just one. I will do some research and see how i can measure stray current with a voltmeter or millimeter or whatever it is thats needed. I saw some posts about it here on RC.

jacmyoung
04/07/2007, 07:43 PM
Do you use GFIC power source? If so it will trip at very low stray current, of course you will need a ground probe in the tank for it to work.

Icefire
04/07/2007, 08:00 PM
There is a least 3 post/month koralia leaking current...

DarG
04/07/2007, 08:24 PM
I have two of the Koralia 3's. Everything is plugged into GFI's and there is a titanium ground probe in that tank. So, since the GFI's don't trip should I assume that my Koralia's are OK?

Mac Inger
04/07/2007, 09:38 PM
IceFire,..i havent seen one yet about the Koralia 4.

Jayc,..yes they are connected to a GFCI outlet but i dont have a ground probe

jacmyoung
04/08/2007, 01:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9672549#post9672549 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mac Inger
IceFire,..i havent seen one yet about the Koralia 4.

Jayc,..yes they are connected to a GFCI outlet but i dont have a ground probe

On second thought, your finger would have been a ground probe so your K4 should be good. I'd still use ground probes, I use one in the tank, one in the sump.