PDA

View Full Version : Small Tunze 6025 review

Jeff
04/06/2007, 04:20 PM
I replaced 2 Maxijet 1200's today with 2 Tunze 6025 Nanostreams. I just wanted to point out the difference between the 2 powerheads. I didnt consider buying Koralia's, I wanted Tunze's. I currently own a 58 gallon RR Oceanic. I do not run a wavemaker. This tank has been running around 4 years.

I received the 2 powerheads after being on backorder from Marine Depot for 2 months. During that time, Marine Depot was very courteous and explained why things took so long. I ended up with 2 of the new 6025's that were corrected after some issues with the shaft.

I did this switch just after the lights came on. (2) 250 watt halides with (2) Icecap variable speed fans and a 6" cheapo clip-on fan blowing across the open top.
I took out the Maxijets and placed the new Tunze's into the tank one at a time, pointing them down the length of the tank at each other for the time being.

The difference in streams is unreal. Instead of a pencil thin stream that shoots the lenght of the tank (36") I now had a wide stream (around 2") that gently blew down the length of the tank.
I could feel the stream gently hitting the opposite end of the tank.

It is now 8 hours later and my fish/corals seem thrilled. A Bali Tri-Color that has never shown PE, now had small buds. I have adjusted the streams a little to bank the streams off of the walls a little better. The temperature of the room is 72, right now the tank temp is 78.9. Yesterday, it was 80.2 in the tank with the same room temp. The only difference is the replacement of the 2 powerheads.

The Tunze powerheads draw 7 watts and pump 660 gph for $61.00 each. The MJ1200's draw 20 watts and pump 295 gph for $20.00 each.
The amount of heat that the Maxijets put into the water is unbelievable. Not only are they powerheads, they are heaters. I would imagine the cost of running the Tunze powerheads is about a third of the Maxijets.

The magnet mounts that are provided free with the 6025's are great. They provide the pump a 360 degree turning radius.

The pictures/camers and photographer are unskilled and cheap :cool:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b44/17831/DSCN0096.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b44/17831/DSCN0093.jpg

I hope this helps.

Jeff

atvdave
04/06/2007, 05:07 PM
You can make them even better with a simple dremel tool, or anything to cut with.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1025361

andyjd
04/06/2007, 05:07 PM
Nice review, I've been thinking about adding one of these to my 90G, but only if it will fit in the small gap between the overflow and the end of the tank

Andy

Jeff
04/06/2007, 05:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9664110#post9664110 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by atvdave
You can make them even better with a simple dremel tool, or anything to cut with.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1025361

I saw that. I may consider it in the future.

Jeff

Jeff
04/06/2007, 07:49 PM
I just re-read that thread on modding the nanostream. Those guys figured out a way to double the output while drawing the same power.
I may mod one next week....

atvdave
04/06/2007, 08:15 PM
it's really very easy, thats why I posted the link. The biggest increase is cutting out the inside tunnel, and the slits on the bottom.

And best of all... it cost nothing but a little time.

Good luck and if not sure please ask the folks in the mod link, there very helpful.

Jeff
04/08/2007, 07:34 AM
I am going to do the mod after the family leaves I think. Happy Easter all.

Jeff

HerbieK
04/08/2007, 09:00 AM
I have a couple of 6025s on my 90, and they were not as good as I expected. When my power fluctuates when my chiller or a fridge kicks on, one would not restart at all. Another would chatter and not get going until I banged it a bit. I wanted a little more flow so I bought 2 Hydor Koralia 3s and ended up replacing one of the Tunzes which now sits "beached' until I start up my 180. I will more than likely mod the 6025s at that time for more flow.

Also, One of the tabs that hold the 6025 magnet onto the mount broke off when I took it out of the card board, so I ended up super gluing it.

Having owned both the Hydors, and Tunze - I will probably go w/ the Hydors in the future

atvdave
04/08/2007, 09:35 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9674541#post9674541 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HerbieK
Another would chatter and not get going until I banged it a bit.

Also, One of the tabs that hold the 6025 magnet onto the mount broke off when I took it out of the card board, so I ended up super gluing it.

Contact Roger in the Tunze forum. He will replace anything that is loose or broken. This is why I use Tunze products. There CS is the best.

gotfrogs
04/08/2007, 10:15 AM
Did they come with the guards that cover the outlet? I got one of the first 6025 and it did not come with a guard. I am afraid my seahorses might get cut by the impeller when the pump cycles on if they are hitched on the pump.

Jeff
04/08/2007, 10:26 AM
Yes, mine did. I believe I got the latest "version" of the pumps with the newer shaft and prop guards. I had to wait 2 months with them on backorder while Tunze re-worked the design and shipped them out to the U.S.
I am not planning to really do that much to the pumps. Probably cut off the shroud and maybe some of the Full Blast mod. I want the guts to be covered.

My brother in law is coming over for Easter dinner with his dremel.

Jeff

Jeff
04/08/2007, 01:15 PM
I just did the standard mod with the shroud on the 2 nanostreams and I like the flow. I am done modding them for now as I dont want more flow. There is a nice noticable difference in the flow.

Jeff

E-A-G-L-E-S
04/08/2007, 01:19 PM
There sure is...you just got ~600gph more total from that simple mod on the two pumps together:)