PDA

View Full Version : shrooms

Kengaroo131
04/06/2007, 04:28 PM
i was just recomened to get a few small mushrooms for my little 10 gallon tank. i was just wondering if there was a special additive for them? if so how much of it should be used? also i was wondering if mushrooms went through the binary fission stage which is when they duplicate over time? if so how often dose that happen? any kinda help would be awesome. thanks in advanced! heres a pic of them. theres about 10 heads
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f224/Kenjamin009/100_5336.jpg

six.line
04/06/2007, 04:32 PM
I have no idea about the binary fission stage. I'm familiar with all three of those terms, just not in that order. (10 kinds of people understand binary.)

In the meantime, I've never really heard of a method to get these guys to grow faster. Normally good water parameters and lighting ('good' is so subjective, isn't it?) make 'em multiply. A buddy of mine had some green striped mushrooms in a 55. All he dosed with was phytoplex. His grew like mad. Whether or not the two are linked is uncertain.

I think I'd like to hear what other people say as well.

Kengaroo131
04/06/2007, 04:43 PM
alrighty. also i forgot to mention one of the mushrooms is like shooting out this white stuff every now and them what is that? should i be concerned or is this normal?

marduc
04/06/2007, 05:48 PM
No "special" additives are really needed at all, just a couple of basic supplements along with regular water changes are all you need. Check out Randy's latest article (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php) on this exact subject.

shrooms are easy to care for, and they reproduce primarily via pedal laceration, you will see them slowly move and their foot where they attach to the rock stretch and then break as they move to a happier location.. the remaining tissue will then develop into a new mushroom. There are other ways to force this issue and to speed things up, but I think you will be best off to let nature run its course for the time being :) It will happen fairly quickly on its own, and they will spread over time.

The white stringy stuff ( I assume you see it coming from thbe central "mouth"?) is a stress related reaction for them, not something to be overly concerned with however, probably just a reaction to the move, change in water quality, being jostled around ect. Make sure to test your water and keep up with water changes, they will be just fine, and they do not necessarily require a lot of light or a lot of water movement, shrooms are IMO the ideal starter "coral" (they really are not true corals, but they look nice and are not very demanding at all :))

Kengaroo131
04/06/2007, 05:51 PM
awesome. yes it was coming out of the center of it on only one of them though. thanks for all the help!

mg426
04/06/2007, 07:20 PM
Somebody say SHROOMS ????

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e137/mg426/DSCF1047.jpg

Kengaroo131
04/06/2007, 07:48 PM
WOW! thats a very nice tank you have there mannnn thows shrooms are big!!! awesome job on that!

drummereef
04/06/2007, 07:54 PM
The shrooms you have need no special attention. Give them moderate light and low-ish flow and they will do fine. I don't dose,or direct feed anything to enhance mine and they do just fine. Keep up on your weekly water changes and they should multiply like any other good shroom would. ;)

Kengaroo131
04/06/2007, 08:06 PM
alrighty! thanks to everyone for all your help and advice! :)

Kengaroo131
04/06/2007, 08:17 PM
so they have been in the tank for about 6 hours now and it looks like there fully streched out. when the lights whent off they curled up in a ball kinda im guessing thats normal. but i just want to make sure...

kau_cinta_ku
04/06/2007, 08:26 PM
thats normal.

Kengaroo131
04/06/2007, 08:31 PM
mmkay cool

rottenpineapple
04/06/2007, 08:51 PM
nice