PDA

View Full Version : Closed Loops

gab24m3
04/06/2007, 09:24 PM
Ok guys post your closed loop pics and a brief description as to
why you plumed it the way you did!

I want to get some ideas. So any tips would be greatly appreciated!

bbehring
04/06/2007, 09:29 PM
Tank: 54 corner bowfront. Pump and OM squirt placed below the tank in the stand. Panworld 50pxx, Oceansmotions 4 way squirt, 2 - 1 " supplies through the side of the tank wall and 4 - 3/4" returns through the side wall. 1 retun High and 1 low on each side of the tank w/ the low returns behind the live rock. Link to my tank build here: http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q169/bbehring/54%20Corner%20Bow%20Reef%20Tank%20Build/

gab24m3
04/06/2007, 09:56 PM
Sweet setup! Then I look at your occupation and no wonder it looks so clean and professional.

Quick question. How do you have the intake to your closed loop? Is it just the pipe submerged in water or is the pipe modified, like a bunch of holes drilled in like i've seen here on RC?

Hal
04/07/2007, 03:10 PM
No closed loop in my tank. I went with a Vortech. What did it for me was the lack of plumbing and incredible flowrate. I still think it's overpriced though. :)

bbehring
04/07/2007, 03:28 PM
gab24m3 both of my supply lines are hooked up to through the back 1 1/4" bulkheads that yield a 1" PVC threaded out put. I simply have a thread in 1" x 4" strainer on the inside of the tank, both about 6" to 8" down. Bought the strainers from MD here: http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=FT8555
I went with 2 supply lines tied in to one that connects to the pump for redundancy in case 1 clogs for one reason or another.

My plumbing was developed from my younger years when I had my own aquarium maintenance and pond business here in so cal (this was about 12 years back). I've plumbed quite a few tanks and even more ponds in my day, including my own 4,000 koi pond. I sill have a fight or two with the PVC glue from time to time. I usually loose that battle! Let me know if you have any more questions or anything. Always happy to help in any way that I can.

gab24m3
04/07/2007, 11:39 PM
Thank you very much bbehring. I will definitely come to you with any questions I have. I will soon post pics of my closed loop when my pump comes in.