PDA

View Full Version : dead hermits

gburton
04/07/2007, 02:49 PM
We put ten redlegged hermits in our tank on Thursday, March 29 along with some snails. On monday, April 2 we added two peppermint shrimp. This past wednesday we noticed an empty hermit shell and what looked like a bunch of fingers from a crab. Last night we noticed another empty crab shell and more little fingers. So I am guessing we have lost two hermit crabs. Everyone else seems to be doing great and our water levels are all good except our pH is just a hair below 7.8. Any ideas why we lost the two hermit crabs and how can I get the pH up a little more? Thanks, :)

alexb518
04/07/2007, 03:00 PM
I've never had a peppermint, but i know that my skunk shrim eats my hermits when they're trying to change shells

gburton
04/07/2007, 03:21 PM
The peppermint shrimp are pretty scared most of the time, infact, they mostly stay hidden in and under the caves of LR. I haven't watched them at night yet, so I don't know what they are doing then.

Drix
04/07/2007, 03:23 PM
Might just be molting. Just wait and see what happens.

gburton
04/07/2007, 05:07 PM
I don't think they're molting, the shells look pretty empty and still.

amike5
04/07/2007, 05:21 PM
They generally sit in their shells all day. They are nocturnal for the most part. I am sure they just molted; their molts don't look like a shrimp molt and many believe their hermit has died. Wait till the lights go out and check them periodically afterward. Did you put spare shells in the tank for them? If you haven't, you should.

gburton
04/07/2007, 06:06 PM
We will keep an eye on them at night. I assume that we need to get bigger shells than they already have? How about the question on getting the pH to rise a little, Anybody?

marduc
04/07/2007, 06:17 PM
Low PH info <-- (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.php)

Hermits don't molt, they don't have an exoskeleton, that is why they carry the shells around, that's their adopted exoskeleton, and yes leaving a few slightly larger shells for them to move into is a good idea, unfortunately those are dead hermits you are seeing.. I would'nt blame it on the pep's (if they are true peppermint's) though, they can and do coexist just fine. As far as the cause hard to tell, perhaps the stress of acclimating?? unseen/unknown hitchhikers? PH shock (7.8 won't necessarily kill them but rapidly going from say 8.3 to 7.8 in a hurry could potentially do it)?

Also FYI, the pepp's do hide almost always during daylight, unles they sense some really enticing foodstuffs somewhere.. at night they are cruising all over your tank.

gburton
04/07/2007, 06:31 PM
Thank you very much, especially for the pH info. We'll just keep an eye on all the others and add more shells.

amike5
04/07/2007, 06:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9671165#post9671165 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by marduc
Low PH info <-- (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.php)

Hermits don't molt, they don't have an exoskeleton, that is why they carry the shells around, that's their adopted exoskeleton

I assure you that hermits do molt. Anything armored must molt to accomodate their growth. I have 6 hermits, and I still have six; even though I have seen a couple dozen, as you would say "dead hermits." I assume that they are reproducing at larger sizes everytime one dies? Maybe what they do isn't exactly molting? But regardless, the do shed their armor which looks exactly like a dead hermit.

marduc
04/07/2007, 06:52 PM
google is great! ok, they do molt.. my mistake

amike5
04/07/2007, 06:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9671400#post9671400 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by marduc
google is great! ok, they do molt.. my mistake

No problem... everyones learning. :)

gburton
04/07/2007, 07:03 PM
when they are molting are they really still and not moving for hours?

salty55
04/07/2007, 07:13 PM
thanks guys. i have been trying to unravel that same mystery. i have noticed what looked like dead hermit crabs too. but i never found the missing shell. never thought about molting. duh!

Pholder
04/07/2007, 07:14 PM
I know for sure that Hermit Crabs DO MOLT. They absolutly Molt I have seen one molt right in front of my face. They do not have to change shells just because they need a bigger one. I have a hermit and he changed shells off and on with two different shells for about 2 weeks.