PDA

View Full Version : more air or less air?

E-A-G-L-E-S
04/08/2007, 12:34 PM
On the same skimmer and keeping the water level the same height.....would more air create a wetter skim? Since there would be more bubbles, i would think it would raise your level creating more skimmate and wet in substance? I know i can lower my water level with my gate valve, but just say i kept it the same for purpose of this question.

smackwater
04/08/2007, 03:33 PM
HI,

I believe more air wetter skim.
Increasing air will drop water level in skimmer

JCTewks
04/08/2007, 11:02 PM
to answer that correctly we need to know what kind of skiimer it is?? In a recirculating skimmer, more air means wetter skimming. Not necessarily so on a NW non-recirc, on those, more air means less water flow, and could lead to a drop on the water level....the greater volume of air may overcome that drop and produce wetter skimmate, it may not. it also depends on if when you are providing more air if the bubble if the bubble size is staying the same as to whether it will skim better or not.

E-A-G-L-E-S
04/08/2007, 11:09 PM
Orca recirc.
Currently the outflow is plumbed rather high, but this seems to have created more mixing action?
Either way, tomorrow i recieve some grey pvc to replumb if i desire. But with the raised water level i had to remove my mesh as it would skim way too wet due to the water level height.
I would think correct water level placement with then added more air would work better, but this thing is pulling some nasty gunk as is?

JCTewks
04/08/2007, 11:19 PM
i think you prob just have too much air for that body...I had to add an 18" or so neck to my octopus DNW 110 after modding it just to handle all of the air it was pulling in. I found that if the water level is too low you can get some burping as well as having to clean out the skimmer body a lot instead of just cleaning the neck and collection cup. I think you might be able to put the mesh back on and add a needle valve to your air intake to fine tune it to the skimmer.

E-A-G-L-E-S
04/08/2007, 11:25 PM
Well, the body is 7-3/8"x 24.5"(much bigger than a octodnw110, no?) and i'm running an octo 3000 with a 1/2" air intake line, enlarged output and out put plumbing, along with an enlarged 1.5" gate valved effluent output.

I wish i could play with the "T's" position without gluing.

JCTewks
04/08/2007, 11:38 PM
yes that is larger than the 110...do you have an air meter? I run mine externally and don't have any of my output plumbing glued. I do have it in a rubbermade tub just in case anything happens...you should be able to aly with it. I keep my tee about 2 1/2" below the transition just for kicks, and dial it upi to keep from burping with the gate valve. Also, i have a dwyer on my intake and finetune the air with the metering valve on it.

E-A-G-L-E-S
04/08/2007, 11:41 PM
No, I don't have a dwyer. I usually just go by visual reference and skimmate.
So you think i'll be able to run it without any leaks unglued? I have an acrylic box that it's on to raise it to keep plumbing return to sump running downhill.

JCTewks
04/08/2007, 11:44 PM
i don't know if this is sound advice...but i just stick the pipes in and give ot a good hit to make sure it is seated. don't go incredible hulk on it...just make it frimly in there.

E-A-G-L-E-S
04/08/2007, 11:48 PM
Maybe some teflon tape as well...and it would only be for a short time and i can temporarily put it in a rubbermaid sump i used to use.
TY

JCTewks
04/08/2007, 11:50 PM
NP matt