PDA

View Full Version : Non-drilled closed loop

rnelson
04/08/2007, 10:03 PM
I have a 480gal that I'm setting up to be a shark tank.....since sharks are very sensitive to electromagnetic impulses I've been thinking about the powerheads in the tank.....I will be using 2 external pumps, a Dart for return from the sump and an Iwaki to power a dual beckett skimmer. The powerheads I will be using are Tunze which use a small amount of electricity.........I really don't want to drill the tank at this point......is there any way to do a closed loop without drilling? I've thought about hooking up another pump to the sump and going over the top of the tank with them, but I'd have to be really careful about draining the entire tank in case of a power outage by siphoning back into the sump.....

Any ideas? Thanks

rnelson
04/08/2007, 10:42 PM
If I did this, I guess it would be better to have an intake into the tank, go over the back and into a pump, then back out of the pump into the tank? There would be no danger of overflows that way, unless the pump itself broke......

JCTewks
04/08/2007, 10:43 PM
you could look at doing over the top intakes as well as returns on a CL...that way in a power outage nothing would be lost and you doin't have to go with a bigger overflow or overcome more head pressure pumping all the way from the sump.

Abengochea
04/08/2007, 10:46 PM
well going from the tank into the pump and back into the tank is a closed loop. Are u putting coral in that tank? if not then I dont know if I would worry to much about having that much flow. If u are set on putting a closed loop u can do something like this http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html

of course without the scwd

rnelson
04/08/2007, 10:49 PM
Thanks Jeff...

Abengochea: yes, I will have some corals....the main idea is to take out the powerheads to cut down on electricity for the shark.