PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Coral Reef

bahhareef
04/08/2007, 10:39 PM
Do you guys think a "backyard reef" reef is possible. Given say one million dollars could you create a 20,000 gallon system in your backyard. What kind of system would you create? What equipment would you use and how would you build your giant reef? I think it is possible given technology available today. You could go snorkeling in it!

DouglasTiede
04/08/2007, 10:55 PM
just buy some ocean front property on a reef and go snorkling is what I would do if I had the $$

drummereef
04/08/2007, 11:05 PM
Depends on where you live I suppose. I think I'd do as DouglasTiede said and buy the best scuba gear money could buy. :)

2fishy
04/08/2007, 11:11 PM
Definately if you were in a warmer climate, but I don't think it would be very successful in the North!;) They had a show on HGTV where someone had a saltwater pond at their house with a viewing room from inside. But they lived in Hawaii!:lol:

bahhareef
04/09/2007, 01:38 PM
bump

Slphappy
04/09/2007, 02:00 PM
For the kind of $$$ it will take to run a backyard reef... take the $$$ and move to where the reefs are and take SCUBA lessons... You won't have to worry about water changes, ich, chemistry, etc... etc... And when you are tired of looking at the reefs you can kick back on the beach while a cabana girl named Sheri brings you a couple of beers... :D

DarthBaiter
04/09/2007, 03:29 PM
maybe put it in a greenhouse in the north east?
Backyard I can go any day, anytime, but snorkeling...even if it was back yard, I don't think I would do it as often as I would go to the backyard reeftank.
I thought about this and thought about putting it in the front yard and have people look at it and have a donation box to help fund it. :)

reefshadow
04/09/2007, 03:54 PM
can kick back on the beach while a cabana girl named Sheri brings you a couple of beers...

Or a cabana boy named Pierre...;)

SPS4Life
04/09/2007, 04:20 PM
There are many people that do reefs in the back yard in so cal and most of them are very sucsesfull. Temp is the largest problem.

bahhareef
04/09/2007, 04:48 PM
so people actually make backyard reefs? I picture something like a giant koi pond (but saltwater)...have any pictures of these things?

Nano Chris
04/10/2007, 07:19 AM
If i had a backyard coral reef, i would use the sun to light the tank (mh's would'nt be nessesary), good heaters I'm talking something like in outdoor pool heaters or whatever. Actually if i had that amount of money i would buy myself a new house and have about a 500gal in wall or larger :D

Scuba_Steve
04/10/2007, 07:54 AM
I read an article a few years back on someone who had a multi thousand gallon tank, indoors, not out. But he ran 2 lines from his ocean front property about 100' out into the ocean, and the tank had a constant water change going. He used some type of solar tubes to tube light into his basement from the sun. This obviously wouldnt be needed. Wish I remembered where I found that article........ Look up the equipment list for the reef at the georgia aquarium, that would prob do it!

MayoBoy
04/10/2007, 08:00 AM
20x40 shotcrete shell w/ acrylic viewing panes and beach entry - majority of pool 10-12' deep.
Geo-thermal heat pump(s)
Building/greenhouse (w/ lower level for underwater viewing)
Surge/wave device on one end
Multiple HID lights for nighttime viewing
Huge holey-limestone boulders to make up reef
Min. 24" sand at bottom
Equipment room at lower level
Dehumidification unit at lower level