PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning crew for my 60 gallon

carlos_fb
04/08/2007, 11:00 PM
I'm looking to get a cleaning crew for my 60 gallon which just finished cycling.

What do you guys of this one?

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=374&parent_category=4&category_search=5&root_parent_id=4

drummereef
04/08/2007, 11:02 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the all-in-one cleanup crew packages. I like being able to pick out exactly what I want and what the tank needs. I prefer nassarius and cerith snails for the sandbed and astrea/turbos for the glass. Only add as your tank demands or they tend to starve. ;)

carlos_fb
04/08/2007, 11:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9679889#post9679889 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drummereef
I'm not a huge fan of the all-in-one cleanup crew packages. I like being able to pick out exactly what I want and what the tank needs. I prefer nassarius and cerith snails for the sandbed and astrea/turbos for the glass. Only add as your tank demands or they tend to starve. ;)

Thanks for your response. What would you recommend me to get for my 60 gallon? I have a lot of hair algae.

goldscarf
04/08/2007, 11:15 PM
We will need a lot more information about your tank such as do you have a dsb, how much LR, what do you eventually want to put into your tank...

That said, be very mindful when adding a clean up crew. Too often we add too many just to get the tank clean, then the animals starve when their is no more food, then because of the lack of animals, algea comes back. Balance is everything when setting up a clean up crew.

Start with adding about 20 nassarius snails and perhaps 5-10 mexican turbos. I am not a fan of astrea's as they cannot right themselves when they fall; and they constantly do.

If you plan on doing a FO non-aggressive tank then you could look at the scarlett hermints, though they can get aggressive. I have always enjoyed 1-2 emerald crabs in my tank. I stay way away from the sallye lightfoots as I have heard they get aggressive with age.

I personally, depending on your substrate like the tiger tail cucumbers. If acclimated properly, they are a great clean up crew member. Conchs get too big, though they do the job.

Hope all this babbling helps you.